We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to regroup on leaving Eurotunnel

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to regroup on leaving Eurotunnel

Next week we will be taking 8 cars over to France via Eurotunnel. We will be heading towards Boulogne on the A16 and turning off to Wierre-Effroy. 5 of our group are complete novices in continental driving so we need to ensure that these people are following a more experienced driver. We are looking for somewhere to regroup when we leave the train as there is always a good chance of being split up. We had thought of using the petrol station on the exit road. Does anybody know if this is a suitable spot on the way to the A16 southbouns?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere to regroup on leaving Eurotunnel

One way is to meet up almost immediately after leaving the train.

You exit the carriage, go up the ramp and you have to turn right - there's no other option.

After a few metres there's a right hand bend.

Pull over on the left hand side of the bend, or just past the bend, at the side of the road with your hazzard lights flashing.

Using Google maps look for Gps - +50* 55' 22.40", +1* 48* 38.27"

Each car can join the line with the 'lead' car/s going to the front of the queue.

It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to do and the novice drivers don't have to worry about searching for a later stopping point.

Just make sure that all drivers have sufficient fuel to get to your destination, a detailed map, mobile phone with roaming and a full address.

UK
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere to regroup on leaving Eurotunnel

The petrol station on the left side of the exit road was my first thought as it's just prior to the junction with the A16. There are a number of parking bays immediately outside the shop/pay counter. We were there only yesterday.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere to regroup on leaving Eurotunnel

I've always found driving in convoy rather dangerous - people always focus on playing "follow my leader" and panic if they think they are going to be split from the convoy, rather than take the decisions which would be best for their own safety and that of other road-users. I think it might be better if you gave everyone a map, swapped mobile phone numbers and arranged a rendezvous point in Wierre-Effroy (or somewhere off the autoroute and on the road thereto). Driving in France is not hard, even for a novice, and I can't help feeling you would all be safer if each driver took responsibility for his own vehicle. Still, each to his own!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere to regroup on leaving Eurotunnel

Hi -

I've often travelled in a convoy - the trick to doing it safely is to break your group up so that no more than three vehicles are travelling together. Then - you leave two or three minutes between groups. When you give each driver a set of documents - a map with the route marked, service plazas highlighted, and full name, address, and telephone number of your hotel, along with the GPS coordinates, and whatever else makes sense to you - remind them to leave at least 2 seconds between themselves and the car ahead - 3 seconds would be better. That way, you don't run the risk of creating a spur of the moment demolition derby.

5. Re: Somewhere to regroup on leaving Eurotunnel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 04:17