We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

France for the day

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
united kingdom
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
France for the day

I am thinking of taking the family to France for the day for a birthday treat. We will take the car Dover/Calais so will be able to drive once in France. I would like to take everyone for a nice lunch preferably in an interesting typical french town. Can anyone suggest anywhere either town or restaurant. My children are in their 20s so dont need anywhere with childrens facilities and preferably not too expensive.

Thanks

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: France for the day

For things to see and do - www.theotherside.co.uk

For loads of restaurants - www.northernfrance-tourism.com

Also Angela Bird's - northernfrance-within90minutesofcalais.co.uk

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: France for the day

I'm going to recommend my normal recommation and that is of Boulogne Sur Mer, I do like it there and there are plenty of places to eat, I've tried 3 or 4 different places to eat there and they where all good :) I also liked St Omer, but didn't get as much to explore there as I would like. The last time I went over to France we didn't have a destination in mind so we just drove around and saw what we could find, that was pleasant :)

When are you hoping to go over anyway? :)

Edited: 28 September 2010, 21:00
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: France for the day

I agree that Boulogne is great for a day visit.

Plenty of things to see and do - Nausicca National sea centre, Fish market and quay, beach, the old city and Basilique, markets, plenty of shops and numerous bars and restaurants.

If you went there by the motorway (A16) it takes around 30 minutes and then return to Calais by the slower coast road D940 you can visit one or more of the coastal villages.

And get the cobwebs blown away as you look over to Blighty at one of the Caps - Gris-Nez or Blanc-Nez.

Have a good day.

4. Re: France for the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 05:18