We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Calais worth a trip for the day?

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Is Calais worth a trip for the day?

My husband and I have found a cheap day trip deal from Dover to Calais.. Is it worth going for a day trip in terms of culture and"things to do" in Calais itself ? as we won't have the chance to travel too far from Calais.

And in terms of places to eat is it really expensive?

Just trying to work out if our cheap day trip is going to turn into a pricey one?

Thank you

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day?

In my opinion there isn't much really in Calais to look at in a culteral type way. There is a Cite Europe that it's quite good, but I much prefer for a day trip to visit somewhere like Boulogne Sur Mer that's quite nice especially the olde town. I've never eaten in Calais, but I have eaten in Boulogne Sur Mer, a few different places and they havce all been good, and not too expensive. Have you thought about Bruges as well? It's quite nice though, only an hour up the motorway. What I do is use the cheap daytrip deal to get across to France and than decide where to go from there (well I decide in advance, but you get my gist).

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day?

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I wanted to know, Bruges is a brilliant idea. What do you recommend to do there with a few hours?

Thank you once again

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day?

I've only been to Bruges once so far (but going again in April) and it's a lovely place to look around and some of the buildings are amazing (I guess that comes under Culture):) The chocolate is always good I must say ;) There is a large carpark called the Z carpark that we used last time and the parking was quite reasonable (the reason I mention this is because that's something we often ponder before we go anywhere). I really liked Bruges anyway, hence why I am going for another visit :)

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day?

Thank you. Ferry is booked and we will head to Bruges. Really looking forward to it.

Thanks once again.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day?

Have a look at - www.in-bruges.co.uk - for all you should need to know and do on a day trip.

The Canal boat tour, about a half hour trip, is well worth doing.

If you need any more info look in the Begium forums for Bruges.

Edited: 31 January 2011, 15:15
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,270 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day?

That's a good site, Keith :) I couldn't go on the canal trip when I last visited, all the canals where quite frozen up.

7. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2012, 11:16