We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to London

College Station...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train to London

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to book the train from Calais to London? My husband and i will be driving from Bayeaux and need to turn the car in and then go to London. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to London

Book direct with the train operator: www.eurostar.com

Book as early as possible for the best prices. Tickets go on sale 120 days before travel, and the cheapest tickets sell first.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to London

You may find it easier to drop the car in Lille and pick up the Eurostar from there. There are far more departures from Lille than Calais. You would only need to go to Calais if you were either thinking of taking the ferry or were taking your car across on the Eurotunnel service, which is a passengers with vehicles shuttle service using the Channel Tunnel. The Eurostar is a passenger-only service through the Channel Tunnel, and makes v.few stops in Calais.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to London

I agree with Pool Lounger. All Eurostar trains from Brussels stop at Lille Europe so there is a trains more or less each hour. However only a couple of services each day stop at Calais.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to London

What do you mean - 'turn the car in'?

Are you returning it to a hire firm in Calais?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to London

By 'turn the car in' the OP means to return it to the rental company... not turn it into something else! ;^)

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to London

The point of the question I asked is - if he's leaving the car at Calais then there's not much point in going to Lille.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to London

But perhaps the plans could be changed so as to drop the car at Lille?

College Station...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to London

Thanks so much. I am now going to check on "turning the car in" at Lille (sorry too much Texas slang, i suppose). It does look like there's lots more trains to London from there and we could drive there and have many more options. Great advice! thanks again...

9. Re: Train to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2012, 05:18