We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

There's been a recent thread that started off about things to do in Calais and quickly turned into a discussion about things to do in Bruges.

We've got a day in Calais in three week's time and we'd like to stay in Calais, or stretch to Boulogne-sur-Mer or Dunkerque at most.

So I'd love to get some replies to what there is to do, culturally, touristy, shopping (although no need to mention the hypermarkets), quick, cheap and informal French eateries, whatever you can think of.

Fire anything and everything at me. I will dissect and research all the info and put together the day for myself.

Merci beaucoup. Thank you.

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

Calais for a whole day might be a stretch. Once you have been into the city centre and had a look around the seafront and maybe the Place des Armes and the Rodin statue and the War Museum opposite you might have a few hours still to kill.... ;)

Boulogne is definitely a better bet for filling the day.

If you have a car the D940 coast road unearths a few small towns for a coffee and/or lunch, plus a few war museums.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

I noticed the way that the previous thread went and did not join in. Much of Calais was rebuilt after the War and it is situated in a flat landscape so it is not the most picuresque owns in France. he Hoel de Ville looks specacular and on he grass oside i is Rodin's saue of he Burgers of Calais. The main church is in he lae gohic English style which is rare in France - Calais was the last English posession in France, being "lost" dury the reign of Mary I. There are some interesting old terraces of fisherman's houses in the area near the lighthouse. Shops in he town are not outstanding (they will have been affected by the Cite d'Europe, but it is worth a bit of window shopping and there is an adequate supermarket. Plenty of reasonable cost restaurants, many offering seafood. Hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

We've got from 08:30 until 19:20 so it's not perhaps a whole day. And we need to leave plenty of time for Cite Europe and Auchan.

A look round the city centre, a stroll along the seafront, a look at the Place des Armes and a quick visit to the War Museum, plus a look round the market which I believe (can you confirm?) is held in Place Crève-Coeur on Thursdays, with a bit of lunch thrown in somewhere before heading back to the hypermarkets... sounds OK to me. Might even add a little drive down the coast for good measure, turning back about halfway to Boulogne.

Am I being ambitious about how much I can fit in? Or am I being unrealistic about how interesting all that stuff is?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

It does help, yes, railtraveller65, thank you.

Can you (or anyone for that matter) give me a 'High Street' road name for the centre of town? And call me an idiot but I can't for the life of me find the lighthouse on the map I've got. Could you point me towards it?

Thank you.

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

Leaving time for Auchun or Continent, of course.

The main shopping "high street" is Blvd Jacquard on one side of the railway, with the Town Hall and 39/45 museum at the end, plus Rue Royale on the other end.

The 39/45 museum can be seem here - http://www.calais.fr/spip.php?article1189

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

The "high street" as such is two long streets from the theatre to the Seafront, nominally Blvd Jacquard and Rue Royale. The railway cuts across about hald way.

Ingo on the 39/45 museum is here. http://www.calais.fr/spip.php?article1189

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

Excuse multiple replies. The damned app says posting failed and it lies!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,205 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

Hey, no worries about the multiple replies. You should see some of my ramblings!

Thanks for the info.

Can you confirm about the Thursday market?

Hythe, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

I've not been for a while, the last time was a Saturday and the market was in Place des Armes rather than the old market hall.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Calais worth a trip for the day? (The second coming.)

This seems to indicate that Wednesday is the day, with a fruit and market on Thursdays as well:

http://www.calais.ws/CalaisMarket.html