We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

young couple on a day trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
young couple on a day trip

Me and my partner are in our 20's and are traveling to Calais with a car for a day in April... approx 7 hours in total. We are mainly interested in shopping ... clothes and shoes for me :-D and just general sight seeing....

Possibly some lovely traditional places for food that won't mean us missing our train home!

Any suggestions would be great.

Mentioned in this post
Calais
Calais
Pas-de-Calais, France
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: young couple on a day trip

ooh shopping I like shopping :) What about paying a visit to Cite Europe? They have various shops, not just aimed at the booze cruisers, not sure what they have now as not been there a while. Not too far from if I saw rightly from the Eurotunnel station. Not actually looked around Calais town as such, even though I've been over a fair few times. This is a good website for ideas: http://www.theotherside.co.uk/ and day-tripper.net/…anchorfashion When I've done day trips, I've managed to visit Bruges (it's lovely there and quite good for sightseeing), Boulogne Sur Mer, Gravelines, and St Omer so far.

Not sure if that helps at all.

Edited: 04 April 2011, 21:12
Mentioned in this post
Cite Europe
Cite Europe
650 Reviews
Coquelles, France
Calais
Calais
Pas-de-Calais, France
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Boulogne-sur-Mer
Boulogne-sur-Mer
Pas-de-Calais, France
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: young couple on a day trip

One of the problems you have is the ammount of time in France.

Both Bruges and Lille, both great for shopping, food and sightseeing, will take a travelling time of around an hour and a half each way.

Boulogne will take about half an hour and Le Touquet an hour.

With only seven hours in France you need to go somewhere relatively close to Calais and I would suggest Boulogne might be the best option which has plenty of shops, restaurants and sights to see.

A ride back along the D940 coast road with a stop at one of the Caps is well worth considering.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Bruges
Bruges
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Calais
Calais
Pas-de-Calais, France
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: young couple on a day trip

yes that's why I suggested Boulogne and St Omer as they are within easy reach of Calais as you limited by time. I didn't find we took that long to get to Bruges, but that might be just me loosing track of time.

Mentioned in this post
Calais
Calais
Pas-de-Calais, France
Bruges
Bruges
London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: young couple on a day trip

Thank you very much for your suggestions sounds amazing .... I know 7 hours isn't long but a day trip out will be fun regardless!

Have to tell the Boy friend to bring his credit card for all the shopping and easting out then!!

Thanks again!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: young couple on a day trip

I hope you have a lovely time when you get to go over :)

6. Re: young couple on a day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 09:22