We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disgusting Dog Mess!

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Disgusting Dog Mess!

I recently did a day trip to Calais via Eurotunnel, we decided we'd go to Boulogne for lunch. Once we arrived we parked the car and decided on a leisurely walk around the town before finding something to eat.

I've never seen so much dog mess, ever! It was truly disgusting! It was everywhere, every road we walked on, was covered in faeces, piles and piles of it, it was like walking through a minefield trying to dodge it! Needless to say, we were put off having lunch, got back in the car and went back to Cite Europe!

Is this usual for France? I wonder if this was an isolated case?! I'd like to venture further out of Calais but if this is an indication of what we'd find, I don't think we'll bother!

What sort of example is this setting for tourism in these areas? It was such a shame to see this disgusting behaviour of dog owners – do they not have to “poop and scoop” like in the UK? Clearly not!

I'd really like to take this up with the local tourist office, but not sure who I should write to, or if it would make any difference.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,057 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disgusting Dog Mess!

It's not the norm, and it would be grossly shortsighted of you to judge an entire country based upon one isolated incident.

There are scoop laws all over France.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,281 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disgusting Dog Mess!

I agree with Sunshine817, true in places there is a bit of dog mess in some places, but a bit much to judge a country on one place. It's a shame it put you off :( Boulogne is a lovely place to visit, and a few good eateries there in my opinion.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
11,726 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disgusting Dog Mess!

We have a lot of dog mess in our little town, and in others around here in the south - it really is disgusting. It's true there is a law, and our council has posters up around town encouraging owners to clean up after their dogs.

However, with the recent cold weather, more of the population have been just opening their doors and letting their dogs out alone to do their business. I imagine where you were has had the same happening, as I've not noticed it very much up there, although it's a while since my last visit. Another problem is the lack of rain over the past few months - there's nothing like a good storm for clearing the streets of mess! Tourists do moan, along with residents, and we do get a lot of tourists.

Come Easter, there will be a big blitz on it, and all the streets will be shiny and clean. It won't last, but it won't be as bad as at the moment, when everyone has to look at their feet as they walk.

I do envy Nimes residents; there they have a chap on a motorbike, who rides around the old town hoovering it up into a hoover on his back - works so well!

But don't give up on France because of dog mess, come and give it another try - there are so many wonderful places!

Edited: 18 February 2012, 10:52
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Disgusting Dog Mess!

It used to be common in France up until 30 years ago but now it's very rare to see dog mess littering pavements (at least in the northern half of France). Calais does have regulations but it seems they have been implemented only recently (and not sure they are strictly enforced yet) so they are a little behind. http://www.calais.fr/Les-dejections-canines

There is a site I like where residents of any city in France can write what they like or don't like about their town and I checked Calais. Reviews lamenting on dog mess were common in 2007-2009 but there doesn't seem to be so many now. Probably a sign that things are beginning to improve even though it still seems bad compared to other places.

I would definitely write to the tourist office (use 'Déjections canines' as the subject of your letter even if you write the rest in English). If other people do the same it has an impact and if the problem is still as bad as you say it is I am sure residents don't like it any more than tourists do.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disgusting Dog Mess!

ER could you clarify please?? Was this in Boulogne or Calais??

Seems a shame to 'tar' Calais with a brush of Dogsh if in fact the problem was in Boulogne!!

We all know I like Calais when others are not so keen on it. I also like Boulogne, but this seems yet another unfair post 'blaming' Calais for something that in fact was found in totally another place!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,616 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disgusting Dog Mess!

Oh yes, good point EssexWanderer! I didn't pay close attention to the fact that the OP mentioned going to Boulogne for lunch despite posting in the Calais forum. In Boulogne, the municipal services say people must pick up after their dogs but unlike Calais, they don't seem to fine them if they don't (or at least it isn't mentioned):

ville-boulogne-sur-mer.fr/proprete_urbaine/c…

Edited: 18 February 2012, 13:54
UK
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disgusting Dog Mess!

Sorry, yes, I did put the post in the Calais forum rather than the Boulogne one as it seemed to be more active and we started our day trip in Calais.

This problem isn't something I have encountered in other regions of France that I have visited and as it's been a good 15 years since I last visited Boulogne I was really very shocked at what we saw!

However, as gardengirlie mentioned, letting dogs out on their own to do their business is certainly contributing to this problem, and it's a shame that (a) it isn't being cleaned up regularly and (b) owners aren't picking up as requested! The dog owners themselves must see this problem on the streets and have to avoid it too!

Mrs French - I will write a letter about this problem, following the link you provided, thank you.

Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disgusting Dog Mess!

hi guy`s,

it has been a while since i have seen this topic raised here, so was surprised.just to comment, that it is rare to have a problem like this in france - a personal view. i do remember in the past it was a huge problem - excuse the pun.

when i first went to Nice there was bad press about the dog mess, but not reciently..

yes, please write to the authorities in boulogne, hopefully they will be a bit red faced..

dave.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disgusting Dog Mess!

The topic is actually becoming quite rare as the French learn to clean up.

10. Re: Disgusting Dog Mess!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 10:30