We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

Hi All,

We are thinking of visiting for a weekend in June and staying for 3 nights.

Having never been to this region before we are hoping for some recommendations on:

1. Where should we base ourselves? Ideally we do not want to drive more than 3 hours from Calais when we arrive but we are happy to drive once we have settled somewhere. It can be inland or by the sea....

2. Ideally we would like to be in a nice town where we can walk for dinner in the evening.

3. In terms of type of accommodation we are looking for something clean, comfortable and slightly on the luxury side. B & B or hotel... we don't mind

4. Where should we visit?? We like nice long walks, cycling or strolling around picturesque towns/ villages enjoying good food on the way...

All advice would be really welcome

Thanks,

Rebecca

UK
Level Contributor
2,836 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

Take a look at Montreuil-sur-Mer which hosts an open-air market on Saturday. There's lots to see and do in and around the town as well as a wide choice of restaurants This central B&B comes highly recommended

http://www.2bischambresdhotes.com/ and is very close to http://www.froggystavern.com/

Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

Ha! Having read your post, and before I saw Joannaspencers reply, I was thinking to myself 'Montrueil-sur-Mer' sound like the exact place you describe!!

There is a very swish hotel there, and a couple of very nice smaller ones.

There are many nice restaurants from nice brasseries and bistros on the main square, small cafe's and some that are rather more gastronomic if you want that.

Walking around the walls is great - you get fantastic views over the countryside, and if you fancy a change you are not so far from Le Touquet for a day at the seaside!!

http://www.tourisme-montreuillois.com/uk/

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

What about Boulogne sur Mer for a first night? I do like Boulogne sur Mer, but it might not be what you are after even though I've had a couple of stays there overnight and day tripped there a couple of times? They have some good places to eat there, and I've eaten out in the evening there a couple of times also, two different places :)

I also have liked St Omer, but not stayed there. :)

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

Another option, and especially since you are looking for somewhere on the luxury side, would be to stay in Le Touquet itself - it's posh, beautiful and with plenty of things to do and places to eat. Accommodation is pricey but there is a large choice from chain hotels to smaller boutique-style establishments.

I also second Montreuil. It's a very characterful place with a cobbled streets, great views - and a very tempting shop selling locally-made chocolates!

Another place to visit is St Valery-sur-Somme, an ancient seaside village of William the Conqueror fame. It's actually in Picardy but it's an easy drive.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

Another vote for Montreuil-sur-Mer. It's about an hour's drive from Calais.

Didn't stay, but did see the lovely looking Best Western hotel there in the historic 19th century former military hospital

Boulogne-sur-Mer is definitely worth a visit, there are ramparts to walk around there too but they don't have the views over open countryside like at Montreuil

Try to incorporate the wonderful D940 coast road from Calais-Boulogne in your journey either to or from Calais.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

I've yet to visit Montreuil-sur-Mer, might have to make it the next place I visit when I go over to France on one of my day trips, it does sound a lovely place to visit :)

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

Montreuil-sur-Mer is in some ways the French counterpart to Rye. It was right on the sea once but is now inland, it was fortified, and it has some dark parts to its history ... Also, both are small towns where it is easy to just walk around.

But there the similarities end - Montreuil is and feels very French.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,725 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

HMMMMMMMN - it is not really like Rye - but I know what celestina means!!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

I can guess what you mean though Celestina :) Will have to see for myself :)

Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay and visit once we arrive in Calais

hi becky,

i would agree about montreuil sur mer, spent 2 weeks there in 2010, it is a nice town.

cafes and restaurants are good.froggytaverne was the highlight of the trip, as was a production of " les mis" in the citadel .

the south side of main square is better for sitting with an early evening drink watching the sun setting..

not really that many shops.

back streets to discover and explore..

you cab get to le touquet and other coastal towns with ease.

will be in stella plage this august, so will go and visit again.

hope this is of some help...

dave.