We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

hi we will be arriving via euro tunnel...with a 4 hr drive into north west normandy...( 4 hr drive ) ..can u recomend anywhere to stop/shop on the way ...for wines / cheese / beers etc etc....to stock up for the holiday ....have our own car . thanks

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,184 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

There is an excellent Carrefour Supermarket in Cite Europe which is just next door to the Train Terminal. http://en.citeeurope.com/W/do/centre/home

Just be aware that this is not open on Sundays.

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

thanks for that

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

We prefer Auchan, but Cite Europ is more convenient from the tunnel, just follow the signs. There's a fuel station on the lower carpark level. Its cheaper go fill up there than over here, especially if you've got a diesel. As said, remember none of the hypermarkets & very few other shops are open on Sundays

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

Alternatively, there's a large Auchan on the "Centre Commercial" (retail park)at La Cappelle. Its less than a mile off the Autoroute at Boulogne (about 30-40 mins from the tunnel). There's cafes etc in the complex & it could be a good place to break the journey. Its easy to get to, just take the N42 (towards St Omer) off the Autoroute & its well signposted on the left ( you come right off the N42 dual carriageway, round the roundabout & you're in the complex) There's plenty of parking etc & a good fuel station.

Edited: 02 July 2012, 17:19
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

The duty free bit of your heading is irrelevant. There is no such thing as duty free between UK and France.

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

i know.....i think what i meant was a nice s/market to stock up on the red wine and stuff...:)

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,098 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

I knew what you meant. I also would recommend the Carrefour at Cite Europe, as it's not far from the tunnel as it is at Coquelles. Always nice to wander around Cite Europe anyway. It's novel though seeing C&A in Cite Europe.

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

thanks for all info...as we are driving onto Gavray to the gite....so need to stock up....:).....

9. Re: arriving calais vis tunnel......nearest duty free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2013, 10:15