We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tigsnpoo24
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

We are going on a day trip to Calais on a Saturday in a few weeks time and in the past when I have been to Calais I found it a bit boring. Is there a pretty little town not to far away with some nice restaurants that we can have lunch in and so a bit of sightseeing? Or has Calais smartened up a lot in the past 10 years? If so can someone recommend a good restaurant to go to and something to go and see? Thank you very much for taking the time.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

Boulogne :) I always recommend Boulogne as it's not far from Calais, and the old town is lovely. I've eaten in Boulogne a few times but can't recommend a particular place as my memory for places is rubbish, but I know you can't go wrong as I've been a few times and have yet to be disappointed. Also a fab aquaruim near the seafront which I recommend.

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,430 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

I second Boulogne; and if you're arriving in time, the Saturday market is very good - but that makes parking rather difficult!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

There is parking not far from Nausicca aquarium near the seafront which we used before, or when we visited in November, we parked in the old town.

:)

Tigsnpoo24
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

Thank you very much Tarry11 and Gardengirlie for suggesting Boulonge, we will go here, when we go in a few weeks time. Unfortunately we will not arrive in time for the Saturday market as we will most likely arrive at around noon, but we will just have a wander around and have a look at the aquarium and find somewhere nice to have lunch. Thank you again for taking the time to make some suggestions for me.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

Like I said, I can't remember what it was called where I ate for my birthday, but there are a few nice eateries right near the seafront :) So plenty of choose from. :)

Hope you have a lovely time.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

We also like Boulogne. Yes, there are a few good restaurants on the seafront and i the old town. However, last year we had an excellent lunch in the Hotel Atlantique in Wimeraux. The restaurant overlooks the beach.

On a Saturday it may be advisable to book.

There is also a large commercial shopping centre just outside Boulogne on the road going south towards Etaple. There is a big Auchan supermarket good for stocking up on wine.

UK
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

I can recommend the La Plage restaurant which is diagonally opposite the Nausicca aquarium on the sea front. There is ample parking facing the restaurant..

restaurantdelaplage.fr/modulosite2/restauran…

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

Le Touquet is our favourite place and just an hour along the the motorway from Calais. A gourmet paradise!

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

Boulogne-sur-mer seemed like a Ghost town when we went there last February. Hardly anything open and barely a soul walking about!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Calais - Is there a pretty town close by?

Was it a Monday you visited?http://www.france-for-visitors.com/north/boulogne-sur-mer/shopping.html

Although that said I visited in November on a Monday and walked around the old town, quite magical in the early evening.