We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Calais

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
724 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
A Day in Calais

Well... We've visited Calais dozens of times over the years as we live just across the channel. However, we are going to take our 2 year old for the first time in a fortnight and have no idea what to do with her really! Are there any easily accessible parks or things for a toddler to do? We are foot passengers, so won't have a car for the day!

Thanks x

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day in Calais

Hello.

It's a shame you are not taking your vehicle across as I would have recommend going to Boulogne sur Mer as they have an aquarium there. I don't have children though so can't say anything from a parent's perspective, I know there is a beach there, but not really beach weather in March (I imagine you are going 2 March, I only guessed that as I'm going on the 23 Feb, and the Saturday after is the 2nd).

I can reassure you though it's easy to get from the port to Calais town centre as there is a bus from the port taking you there. It's quite regular.

Not sure if that helps at all.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
724 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day in Calais

As Tesco say 'every little helps' so thank you. We're actually going on a Thursday as booked some time off, but it definately won't be beach weather as you said! Glad it is easy to get the the town by shuttle too! x

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day in Calais

That's what I believe too, any little advice helps. Just bear in mind the last bus to the port is at 1930 if my memory serves me correctly. If I see anything that may of interest when we got past Calais next Saturday I will let you know.

Although not really beach weather as such, sometimes it's nice to walk along the coast anywhere though :)

Hope you get good weather. x

Essex
Level Contributor
28,552 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day in Calais

I have been wracking my brain for ideas for you, since I spotted your post this afternoon, but have not really come up with much!

There is a Lighthouse you can visit, the little'un might like climbing all the stairs, seeing thr big lamp and looking out over the sea, you can point out the ferries coming & going (she went on one of those -wooooo!) and England in the distance if you get a nice day!

Apparently there is a small aquarium in the Saint Pierre Park, can't find a lot of info on line but it is called Cercle Aquariophile du Calaisis...

www.aquariogest.com/index.php…

I have also come across this

http://www.royalkids.fr/parcs/calais/

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day in Calais

I know you have booked as foot passengers but P and O do some really good deals for a car and passengers on a day return, that way it broadens your horizons for places to visit, As you know Calais is a nice place to visit though, have a great trip :)

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day in Calais

I paid £30 for my trip next Saturday with vehicle, although the best deal I've ever had for a foot passenger is £2 each way. I can't even get to work for £2.

Have fun soon x

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Day in Calais

Not sure how of interest this is, but in Cite Europe there are dinosaurs at the moment, naturally not real ones, but models of them, and there is a dinosaur that children can ride, just thought that may be of interest. They are there until 2 March.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
724 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Day in Calais

Thanks Tarry! That sounds brill, my daughter loves dinosaurs! Unfortunately we go a couple of days after it's finished though :( x

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Day in Calais

That's a shame :( Was there yesterday and thought I would give it a mention. :(

Hornchurch...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Day in Calais

how did u get the foot passage for £2 each>???

Get answers to your questions about Calais
Recent Conversations