We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

We are arriving on the 10:55 ferry from Dover and have booked the 12:32 TGV from Calais Frethun. Would rather pre-book a taxi as I have the family and 4 suitcases so don't want to muck around with buses and pontentially miss the connection (esp as it is a Sunday). Any ideas which taxi company I should contact? Cheers

Kent
Level Contributor
361 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

Hi,

I did this exact journey in January, but I always take the TER service that goes to Boulogne, via Les Fontinettes and Calais Frethun for a TGV journey anytime. I'd recommend catching the €2 bus service from Port building to the Gare, there's one at 11:20 and it drops you next to the taxi rank opposite the station entrance, journey time is roughly 10 minutes. Then catch the 11:48 train from Ville to Frethun, this will take you to the right platform with the TGV waiting opposite in the station. It's a seamless journey with a cost of around €4 each, but you can get away with not paying on the TER service, as supposedly it's a free service anyway (I've don't remember being checked for a ticket admittedly), so €8 in total in your case, much less than the 12 mile taxi drive will cost.

Any questions, please ask!

Bus times:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g196659-i1090-k6…

Times for the train:

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Nord_Pas_De_Calais/Trid…

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!

Noosa Heads
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

i have booked a ferry that arrives at 1810 and the TGV departs Calais Frethun at 1900 - so will 50mins be enough time to connect? Are the ferries on time?

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

It always takes longer getting away from a ferry than ou would expect. You have to wait for the connection to the walkway to be connected, then go to a coach that takes you to the terminal, which waits until it is full or all the passengers are off and then walk through the terminal. So even if you take a taxi from there it will be at least tight. If I were ou I would aim to get to Dover and see if you can get an earlier ferry.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

Ferries are sometimes on time, sometimes delayed. Even if it arrives bang on time I think you'd really struggle to get off the ferry & get to Frethun in 50 minutes. You''ll probably be just leaving the ferry terminal as your train leaves the station. If I was doing this I'd get a ferry an hour before 7 dock at 15-10.

6. Re: Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 10:57
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,084 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

To the OP and post #4 - any reason why you are catching a ferry from Dover, when there are direct Eurostar trains from London, Ebbsfleet (north Kent) and Ashford to Lille and Paris?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

Wirewiper

I did wonder that myself, why not just get Eurostar to Frethun (or their onward destination) Its probably a lot cheaper though to use the ferry, I'd pay the extra for the convenience & comfort.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 11:29
sz4
Ontario
Level Contributor
213 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

Is leaving 1.5 hours sufficient for getting off Calais ferry, go to Calais Ville train station, and board the train?

Or should we consider a self guided walk around in Calais, then catch a later train?

We can get off Dover cruise ship around 8am, just want to arrive Paris before dark.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer from P & O ferry terminal to Calais Frethun station

If you have come off a cruise ship at 08.00 you are presumably going to have to pass through UK border controls which, even if you have UK passports, can be a decidedly slow process. Then you have to get from the cruise terminal on the western side of the harbour to the ferry terminal on the east side, which is a very long walk if there are no taxis available, arriving there at least 45 minutes before the scheduled departure of your booked ferry. The ferry then effectively takes just over two and half hours to get to Calais because of the clock change. After that 90 minutes should be OK to get to the Ville station IF the navette bus times match up - they run roughly hourly but with gaps - and you always have the worry of the ferry docking late.

It is all a bit "iffy" because it is a route that no one wants to promote. There are extra costs involved in carrying foot passengers and, despite the fares, it isn't profitable - which is why only P&O allow them at all and then only at certain times.