We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay overnight in Calais

Cheshire
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay overnight in Calais

We are family travelling to St Malo. Please can anyone advise us where to stay overnight that easy to get to from the Eurotunnel. Or the easiest cheapest way to get from Northern England to St Malo. We would need at least 4 rooms, & my husband uses a wheel chair.

Thank You.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay overnight in Calais

When are you travelling?

Do you have a budget?

Take it you are bringing.your own car(s)

You do know that,you can take ferries direct from the UK to St Malo??

That may be a better choice for you, than long hours on the road....

London, England
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay overnight in Calais

LD Lines Newhaven/Dieppe give discounts of about 30% to disabled passengers. We went to Normandy at the end of May on Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth to Caen. We are thinking of going to Brittany next year.

We stayed in the same little house that we rented last year. I had booked it via Gites de France, you can view their website in English.

Rather than stay in Calais it may be just as economical to take the ferry direct to St Malo. I have just booked the Hotel Ibis by the cathedral in Boulogne for 74 Euros for a Sat night in July. That is for 2 people. There are plenty of places to eat nearby in the old town.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay overnight in Calais

I posted a reply on overnighting in Calais just a few minutes ago so the thread is nearby. This is what I said;

Hi! When I arrive, having driven from Holyhead and negotiated the dreadful M25, I'm in no mood to go too far in France. Don't forget that you add an hour to the clock also. This hotel is about a mile from the terminal as the crow flies but a little further as you need to go on the motorway and come off at the next exit and double back - about 10mins drive.

So I stay in tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g580149-d551096-… which allows pets. It isn't the Ritz but it is clean, comfortable and great for a good night's sleep. Also it is just a short walk/drive from the local Buffalo Grill and the Supermarket [Auchen] and the Auchen filling station [which is considerably cheaper than UK prices.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 23:06
Level Contributor
14 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay overnight in Calais

There are a number of hotels in the vicinity of the tunnel we use the b&b at coquelles but there is also a formule one & kyriad and several ibis establishments

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay overnight in Calais

I would stay just outside Calais - somewhere like Wissant, then if you have time you can walk along the beach - there is no where much to get fresh air and stretch your legs in Calis. Another lovely little town in Wimereau - which is very flat and may be better suited to a wheelchair user. Both towns are a a ew minutes from Calais. The Annex of Le Vivier in Wissant has wheelchair access via a lift from the garage (customer parking)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay overnight in Calais

Have you had a look at the ferries to St Malo/Le Havre etc. It would save you the time on the road & the night stop although the ferry would cost a lot more than the tunnel & it would mean more time stuck on the ferry.

If you still go for the night stop in Calais, I'd go for the B&B at Coquelles (or Kyriad etc as in #4) they're all close to the tunell & the Auchan etc is very close.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay overnight in Calais

The B&B [this is aMotel chain - not a conventional 'guesthouse'] is almost behind the Kyriad

Edited: 27 July 2013, 23:51
Waverly, Iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay overnight in Calais

My wife and I are traveling from London to Calais on the Eurostar, arriving at 21:39 at Frethun station. Can anyone recommend hotels or B&Bs near that station? Are there taxis at the station? Thanks!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay overnight in Calais

Holiday Inn- Coquelles is probably the nearest. Frethun station is a bit out in the sticks but there should be taxis there when the Eurostar's due in.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,764 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay overnight in Calais

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Coquelles and it's quite a good hotel, but out in the sticks as sylvnles says. Make sure you book the one at Coquelles though because there is another Holiday Inn in Calais Town.

There are taxis at Calais Frethun. See this website for information, including telephone numbers should you need them:

www.gares-en-mouvement.com/en/frsth/accueil/

Get answers to your questions about Calais
Recent Conversations