We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeting place in Calais

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Meeting place in Calais

Hi all, need to meet up with someone in Calais for a trip back by car on the Euro Tunnel. Where would be the best place to meet (this will be approx 4pm on a Sunday in December). I will be travelling from Paris to Calais by train with a puppy, and need to meet up for a lift back to the UK.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeting place in Calais

By the Burghers of Calais Statue, in front of the Town Hall (Hotel de Ville) which has a good sizes car-park and is easy to find, as the Town Hall tower can be seen for miles around...

Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeting place in Calais

teeaay,

yes, essex wanderer is right, good place to meet, only a few minites from the train station...

but my only concern is the car park in december..calais always does christmas stuff in front off town hall, but usually plenty of space to park a car.

dave

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeting place in Calais

It depends which station you're arriving at in Calais. If Calais-Frethun, then I suggest they pick you up at that station as it's not far from the Eurotunnel. If Calais-ville then there's also a bar-café-restaurant joined to the station that is on the main road and easy to access by car. It is just in front of the taxi rank.

Newark-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
121 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeting place in Calais

Burghers of Calais statue is a perfect place to meet. But beware, this sounds as if it might be a new puppy. All the paperwork (and vaccinations) must be in order or you will not be able to bring your puppy to UK. Check now at www.gov.uk/defra

Essex
Level Contributor
28,557 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeting place in Calais

Good point about possible Christmassy things going on by the Town Hall...

I have never been there then, so do not know about such events!

Maybe one of the Hypermarkets then, as plenty of parking by them?

Maybe by the fort??

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,688 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeting place in Calais

I assume they will be in a car & you'll be on foot. Best place would surely be at the station you arrive at. As others have said either in the café or you could just walk outside to the car. Swap phone numbers etc to make contact once you're there.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meeting place in Calais

Calais-Frethun is a small station out on its own, in the middle of nowhere. From memory, there is just a newsagent and a small café-snack bar. That's it. On the plus side, you can drive right up to the front door. If you have a long wait there, it is a bit soulless, and so you could get a train from there to Calais ville. I think anyone arriving at Calais-Frethun by train gets a free onward train ride to Calais-ville, but better to check that anyway.

For Calais-ville, I've had lunch a couple of times in the bar-café-restaurant that adjoins the station. It has a bar and a restaurant section. It has big bay windows that look out onto the taxi rank, drop-off point so you can see any car turning into the station.

Either way, in December with luggage, I'd arrange to meet at a bar or café.

Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meeting place in Calais

hi guy`s,

i am sure it would be be best to meet at calais ville..as it is a sunday meet, there should be plenty of space in front to park,also as said, there is a cafe attached..

it would get a bit complicated after that..

9. Re: Meeting place in Calais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Calais
Recent Conversations