We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amiens to London via Calais

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Qld, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Amiens to London via Calais

We will need to travel from Amiens to London on Saturday, 14 June 2014. While we can go via Paris, Calais seems a shorter option and also a chance for us to see some different scenery. We can get a train from Amiens to Calais, arriving Calais Frethun at 9.16am, then change on to the Eurostar leaving at 10.01 from the same station. My queries are:

Do the Amiens - Calais trains usually run on time;

We will only have 45 minutes to change trains and go through any British immigration procedure - would this be enough time?

Our other option would be to take a train to Calais and then a ferry as foot passengers. Other than giving us an opportunity to see the White Cliffs of Dover, this would be a much longer option and I am uncertain about travel from the Dover ferry terminal to central London.

Any suggestions, answers would be most welcome.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Amiens to London via Calais

The other option is to go via Lille.

There are trains from Amiens to Lille Flandres which take 1 hour and 20 minutes. From there it is a 500 metre walk to Lille Europe, from where you get the train to London.

For alll Eurostar departures, you have to check in no later than 30 minutes before the train leaves. (although in practice there is a little leeway on this)

So provided your connection arrives in Calais on time you would be OK. However if it was late, then there are more Eurostar trains which stop at Lille than Calais.

Whichever route you take, if you buy a through ticket from Amiens to London, then if your connecting train was late, Eurostar would be obliged to put you on the next available train to London at no extra cost.

Qld, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amiens to London via Calais

Thanks for that great advice. Can you tell me where I could buy the through tickets online? I thought the two lines were run by separate companies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Amiens to London via Calais

You can buy the tickets at http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/, but you will not be able to book for June at the moment, as bookings for the French leg of the journey cannot be made more than three months in advance.

It is also worth noting that Eurostar bookings are currently open for Saturday 14th June , and they are selling singles from Lille to London for €50 on the Australian version of the site. The price will go up the nearer you get to the date of travel, whereas the cost for the journey from Amiens to Lille/Calais will not.

Lille is quite a pleasant city to spend a few hours if you have a connection to make. There are bars, restaurants and a shopping centre, whereas Calais Frethun is in the middle of nowhere and there is nothing at the station.

Edited: 16 December 2013, 11:23
Qld, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amiens to London via Calais

Thanks again...is it Lille Flanders you are referring to? This does look like a very good option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Amiens to London via Calais

The train from Amiens will arrive at Lille Flandres.

The train to London will leave from Lille Europe, which is 500 metres away.

There are several bars and cafes in the immediate vicinity of Lille Flandres, as well as a large shopping centre between the two stations.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amiens to London via Calais

The Lille option is your best bet.

As for taking the ferry as a foot passenger, this would be my "last resort". Its a longer journey & you've got the hassle of arranging transport to & from the ports at each end. There's only a few crossings that take foot passengers.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amiens to London via Calais

Lille seems a good option to me too.

I think Calais would only make sense if you want to have a ferry crossing for a change of experience, and to see the White Cliffs. The only ferry company that accepts foot passengers on the Calais-Dover route is P&O, and only during the day. Currently this means that foot passengers can travel between the hours of 08:45-19:05 Dover-Calais and 07:05-20:55 Calais-Dover.

poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template…

There are quite a lot of crossings during the day - the above website has the detailed timetables.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amiens to London via Calais

There is a bus to both Calais and Dover ports to add to sylvnles comment :) I think the train would be the easiest option though.

Qld, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amiens to London via Calais

Lille it is...thank you so much to those who have responded.

10. Re: Amiens to London via Calais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 06:20