We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip for 10 days from Calais

Tamworth, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Road trip for 10 days from Calais

Having never driven in Europe before, I was after a bit of advice...

My boyfriend & I are planning a 10 day road trip from and returning to Calais, France.

We have a few ideas, one of which is driving to the eastern block on the first day & then travelling around there. Or another is to travel through France, Belgium & possibly see some of the alps too?

Basically we have little knowledge and would like some suggestions!

Cheers.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,571 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip for 10 days from Calais

Driving to ."the eastern block" is 2 days of hard driving, and the drivers once you get there are, um, challenging??

You need quite a bit of paperwork for that......

You need so e good guidebooks and maps, first of all, to help YOU decide where YOU want to go.

This website will give you a start.....

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip for 10 days from Calais

You are from the UK, so getting to mainland Europe is easier than for people from the US, Australia, Canada, etc. So, for your first trip I would keep it simple. You do not have to do it all this time. Ten days does not even let you see France, let alone any other countries. The Michelin site is good for planning routes with approximate times, distances, tolls and options of scenic routes.

I would do some research on France about what you like to do and choose places that interest you. We have spent 26 weeks in France and are going again for ten weeks next year, and we come from the other side of the world. So I would say stick to France and do not try to do too much. We usually spend a week in a region, but next trip will be spending two weeks in some. You could easily spend ten days in Normandy and Brittany.

I would suggest getting a guide book for France and becoming familiar with the regions and their location and plan a comfortable ten day trip. I am sure you will be back and be able to explore more regions. There is a lot of info on the web. [I am on a new computer and still learning so cannot give links ]. Try Plus Beaux Villages de France, France Voyage for browsing.

Good luck.

3. Re: Road trip for 10 days from Calais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 13:59
4. Re: Road trip for 10 days from Calais

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Calais
Recent Conversations