We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

Hi all

Was thinking of a bit of a suprise/adventure for my better half for Valentine weekend.

Want to either:

Drive to Dover or London and stay overnight on 14th then ferry or Eurostar both with car to Calais early on sat am. Shopping etc sat day, we both smoke tobacco and thought we could pick up some cheap plonk also.

Then stay over in Calais and come back Sun am.

Gosh, call me thick but this Eurostar booking is complicated! Found a couple of reasonably priced hotels in Calais.

I think basically what I am looking for is some help from you lovely people on what might be the cheapest way to do this and any tips you may have please as my brain is frazzled trying to work it all out.

Would be eternally gratefully if anyone has the time to respond please

Thanks so much

Lisax

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

Gosh that should be help not GELP .stupid phone! Ha, not me of course

X

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

I'm not sure why London comes into the equation. If you want to take the car then you need Eurotunnel, not Eurostar which is the passenger train.

There are some very nice places not far from Calais , take a look at the little town of Wimereux for the Friday night.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 18:58
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

If you want to take your car, it's the Eurotunnel or the ferry you take, the Eurostar is the passenger train. With Eurotunnel you have to book at the right time IMO to get the good deals. I normally use the ferry as I leave it too late to get the deals. I tend to use po ferries.

A couple of places that you might like are: Boulogne Sur Mer (moreso the old town) and Monreuil Sur Mer informationfrance.com/montreuil-sur-mer.php. Both lovely places I have really enjoyed visiting. Recommend a walk about the Ramparts at Montreuil especially on a nice day (as in dry!).

Other places that I like are St Omer and Le Touquet (KeithChesterfield knows his stuff about there)...

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

Thanks so much I will have a look. In your opinion when is 'the right time' as you suggest

Thanks again

Lisx

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

In regards to shopping I always visit Carrefour at Cite Europe, but last time I was over there, I was hearing good stuff about the Aachen there. I enjoy my visits to Cite Europe, and there is a new place (well about one year old now or so) there selling wine, spirits etc, where the old Tescos used to be, not far from the food courts etc.

And I've been trying to visit here for some time now but not quite managed to do so:

cote-dopale.co.uk/tourism/…cap-gris-nez

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

Sorry was adding another response as I didn't quite finish my first reply. I know you can get some £22 each way (or sometimes round trip) on Eurotunnel by booking early, but I seemingly miss them, or am just pants at booking it in time. I do tend to use the ferry though as it works out cheaper when I book although obviously with this windy season, the Eurotunnel would a smoother bet ;)

Edited: 04 February 2014, 19:30
England, United...
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

<<although obviously with this windy season, the Eurotunnel would a smoother bet>>

Not necessarily. We were held up for over 2 hours once due to high winds on the French side at Coquelles. The train goes round a loop and the cross wind was deemed to be too strong. On another occasion, due to the fact that the ferries were not operating (strong winds again) lorries were diverted to Eurotunnel and preference was given to these vehicles, causing a tailback of over 10 miles.

Sorry!

It's probably too late to get a decent priced ticket but Eurostar directly into the heart of Paris (sipping a glass of champagne en route) could be done as a day trip.

Edited: 04 February 2014, 20:29
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

I never really thought about that, I should have put should ;) not would.

And yes, we have operation stack here because the channel ports getting closed. etc.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

Just to add. If you want to buy tobacco/cigarettes you'd need to go to Belgium (Adinkerke). Tobacco products aren't cheap in France. Adinkerke is about 45minutes away up the motorway, very easy to get to. If you google "Adinkerke tobacco" you'll get lots of info. It's worth the trip if you want to bring much back.

We prefer Auchan for our shopping but Cite Europe has a decent choice for a meal etc as well as the large Carrefour & other shops in the "mall"

It's a bit late now to get the best prices on either Eurotunnel or the ferries. If you use Tesco club card you can get their "deal" vouchers for Eurotunnel.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 09:10
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Befuddled, could you gelp at all please?

P.S.

You're making it complicated by staying in London. You'll lose a lot of the Saturday in travel time to Folkestone for Eurotunnel & don't forget you'll lose an hour travelling to France as they're 1hour ahead of us.

Are you just adding London because of Eurostar? Eurotunnel (vehicle carrier) only goes from Folkestone. If you're looking for a night stop after travelling from home there are a few travellinns around Folkestone.