We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent day trip ??

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
hampshire
Level Contributor
479 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Recent day trip ??

Has anyone been across on a recent day trip?

The reason is I watched the News the other night with all the immigrants trying to get into vechicles to get to England Many years ago when Sangatte and various other camps were in operation we stopped going to Calais and went to Boulogne instead

Friends at that time had their car broken into at a Hotel and when they had their windscreen fixed on return to Dover the man said he did about 50 British cars a week ! Other friends were broken into at Auchan We were lucky and didnt have a problem but felt intimidated by men with their faces wrapped in towels

We like Calais and of late had returned there and would like to go on a day trip but as we would be parking our car for several hours over lunch just wondered if anyone had any up to date experiences

Im not making any political statement just a nervous older lady wanting a nice day out !

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent day trip ??

We've been over to Calais a few times recently, and each time left our car for a few hours by the harbour while we had lunch. Didn't have any problems and didn't really see any 'undesirables' hanging around.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,281 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent day trip ??

I've been as recent as December 7,so about 3 months ago, and did actually spend time in Calais itself for a change. Parked up in the carpark that was multistory near a small Carrefour and explored around the town itself. I didn't see any erm....how one earth do you say it? around the town although saw some whilst in the car walking near the train station. We also parked up in Cite Europe itself and went to Carrefour, etc.

Didn't spot anything around port, but it's so well patrolled, one time I was over there, they where walking around with dogs.

Does that help at all?

hampshire
Level Contributor
479 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent day trip ??

Thank you

Yes it does help You see these television reports and they are worrying and Im sure doesent help the Calais traders and Restaurants either

We will give it a go Thank you again

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,281 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent day trip ??

Keep us updated. I want to go again myself.

hampshire
Level Contributor
479 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent day trip ??

Yes certainly will

Edited: 26 March 2014, 19:03
Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent day trip ??

If you go by Eurostar from London, how easy/expensive is it to get from the station at Calais into Calais centre-ville?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent day trip ??

There's usually taxis at the station, I don't know the price.

Be aware that Eurostar doesn't actually use Calais station it uses Frethun which is a couple of miles from the centre of Calais.

hampshire
Level Contributor
479 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent day trip ??

Well we have been for our day trip

We spent a short amount of time in Calais and there is an awful camp of plastic tents by the railway line Rubbish everywhere Men urinating !! Not very nice Did seem quite a few people wandering from the camp up to the town so decided it wasnt for us and we went to Boulogne and had a lovely day

It is a difficult situation but dont really want to go for a long lunch and worry about the car Thanks for everyones help and Im afraid I now wouldnt recommend it after experiencing it myself

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent day trip ??

Oh dear.

I like good old Calais with it's workaday charms.

But that sounds decidedly offputting

:-(

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,281 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent day trip ??

Shame about Calais, but glad you enjoyed Boulogne nonetheless. I am a fan of Boulogne myself too.