We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calais, to do or not to do?

Which Calais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Calais, to do or not to do?

Hi All,

So, we are going to be in Dover for a day, and were thinking about taking a ferry over to Calais for a few hours to shop and sightsee. I know there is a shuttle that runs between the port and town centre and also that the walk has been said to be "uninteresting". However, I am seeing a lot of news pop up about there being a rough group of people and unrest-like activity going on around the port area. I realize these are refugees or migrants or whatever and not French citizens but, this is now causing some concern on our part about the safety issues. I understand that things can get blown out of proportion, God knows they do here in the States.

So I guess all that to ask this...is it safe to walk from the port to town, and is it safe in general to walk around without being approached? We have a backup plan for another day trip if it's not a good time to go to Calais. Can always fit it in another trip if we need to.

Any info/insight will be greatly appreciated. Hit me with it!

:-)

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calais, to do or not to do?

This question was raised a couple of days ago and here's a copy of one of the replies:

<<We went from Calais to Dover on the 12th July.

What we noticed this year (we've done the trip many times) is the number of migrants waiting in the port area. Hanging around, waiting for trucks. We saw some of them grabbing on to the backs of trucks (the drivers were made aware by other truck drivers) and we saw French police taking more from other trucks.

It felt uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable.

Just my 10c worth>>

I'd take the shuttle bus.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calais, to do or not to do?

I saw that post, PamjoHertfordshire. That's actually why I decided to ask about walking around in the city centre as well...if it's just relegated to the port area then I think we would be ok. Definitely want to take the shuttle if at all possible, just wanted to ask so if we did miss it and didn't want to wait on the next, we would know whether to stay put or give it a walk.

Thanks for the response! :-)

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calais, to do or not to do?

We were in Calais yesterday. Once you are away from the port area there are no problems and only saw a handful of migrants hanging around in a park. Felt perfectly safe walking around during the day and evening.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 15:46
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calais, to do or not to do?

Thanks for you up to date update :)

London, England
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calais, to do or not to do?

Calais has experienced these problems for a very long time,it is nothing new. We travel to France on a frequent basis and often see these people out by the port area, but never encountered any problem.

6. Re: Calais, to do or not to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:16