We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Info please on Les Sables-des d'Olonne

London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Topic
General Info please on Les Sables-des d'Olonne

Not having ever stayed for a holiday anywhere in France except the far South ie Cap d'Agde,Canet and Cannes etc ( I love the sun and the heat )I am looking for a few pointers for somewhere NOT AS FAR to travel by car.

Someone suggested Les Sable d'Olonne so can anyone give me me a bit of info please.

1) How hot does it get in the 1st half of July?

2) for the sake of my other half,what is the shopping like. Are there plenty of shops. I appreciate that it would'nt match Montpelier but is there a good shopping centre.

3)What or where are the best places to go in and indeed outside of Les Sables......

Finally ( at the moment)can I have a re-cap on miles and quickest time to travel by car from Calais.

I appreciate in advance any help anyone can give on these points. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,027 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Info please on Les Sables-des d'Olonne

Some observations:

We were in the area (Longeville sur Mer) in the first half of July this year.

The temperatures were Mid to late 20's, I think we hit the 30 on occasion. BUT remember, this was the week after we encountered 37C in Brittany lol!!

Shopping, I'm not an expert on but its a big town. There are lots of shops.

In terms of things to see, do. The port area is lovely and you are in the heart of "Salt" production.

To the north, there are some lovely beaches and the wonderful Ile de Normoutier with the Passage de Gois causeway that can be crossed only at low tide. Definately worth a visit.

To the south, is the Ile de Re. Accessible only by bridge that costs €16 out and is free back. Definately worth visiting once, but I'm not sure I'd rush back. But the salt areas are very interesting as is the lovely lighthouse.

Inland are the Jardins Court d'Aron jardinez.com/Parks-and-gardens-Floral-And-Tr…

These are fab. There is a lake with lotus flowers, incredible. This is a must see, worth a journey to. Loved it!! Loved it!! Loved it!!

If you are considering the area, take a look at the book "The Vendee" by Angela Bird. This gives you details of everything you think you need plus much more that you didn't realise you'd need. Its available widely in the local supermarkets but can also be ordered from a good bookshop in the UK.

Its an invaluable guide and will give you far more information than I could here.

In terms of miles from Calais and route. Check out www.theaa.co.uk Its over 400 miles. So it should take you about 7 hours without stops.

Mentioned in this post
Vendee
Vendee
Pays de la Loire, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: General Info please on Les Sables-des d'Olonne

Thanks very much Beanalainn, that was a quick and very good response. I appreciate it.

I would be grateful though, if anyone else looking in, that has had more of a ShoppingExperience, to let me know what they can on that subject.

But I am very gratified at Beanalainns reply, thanks again.

UK
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: General Info please on Les Sables-des d'Olonne

I was there in August. Most of the restaurants are along the quayside. There is a long promenade for evening walks.

IMO there isn't a big shopping experience in the centre. There are the usual hypermarkets and chains around the ring road.

We spent a day in La Rochelle, the shops there may be more attractive.

Cambridge, Ma
Level Contributor
187 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Info please on Les Sables-des d'Olonne

we spent the night there at a hotel overlooking the beach. From Our window we watched the circus arrive in town. Did not do any shopping there.

La Rochelle
Destination Expert
for La Rochelle
Level Contributor
748 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Info please on Les Sables-des d'Olonne

Generally you don't go to Sable d'Olonne for the shopping unless youre after nautical wear! Its a holiday resort and pleasure port and the shops reflect this.

6. Re: General Info please on Les Sables-des d'Olonne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Les Sables-d'Olonne