We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Sables d'Olonne - Carisma Campsite

Irish Chick
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Les Sables d'Olonne - Carisma Campsite

Hi,

Can anyone advise if I need a hire car to get from La Rochelle airport to Les Sables campsite as I really dont want to drive if not necessary but hear taxi fares are ridicolous???

Mentioned in this post
La Rochelle
La Rochelle
Charente-Maritime, France
Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Les Sables d'Olonne - Carisma Campsite

Hello,

Yes I'd recommend hiring a car for two reasons: 1) La Rochelle airport is a good 2-hour drive away, so clearly the taxi fare would be ridiculously high (taking the train however - changing at La Roche sur Yon - is fairly straightforward if you're comfortable working out and using public transport abroad? Although you'd then need a taxi to the campsite...) and 2) because the Les Sables site itself is a litle bit remote - you'd be looking at a 25/30-min walk (depending on fitness and/or children!) before you reached the main town, and therefore also the promenade/sandy beach/restaurants etc.

So all in all, I'd highly recommend having a car.

Hope this helps,

Colin

Mentioned in this post
La Rochelle
La Rochelle
Charente-Maritime, France
Alencon, France
Level Contributor
478 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Les Sables d'Olonne - Carisma Campsite

I agree entirely - unless the traveller in France is just visiting Paris or another major city, a car is highly recommended.

Trains only get you so far, while buses only operate within town and city limits.

I think the freedom of personal transport makes the experience incomparably less fraught and generally opens up many more opportunities.

Edited: 06 June 2010, 16:22
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
3. Re: Les Sables d'Olonne - Carisma Campsite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2010, 06:30
Get answers to your questions about Les Sables-d'Olonne