We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

Taunton, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

Myself and my family are spending two weeks in this campsite this year from end august until sept 10th and am concerned about one post that I have read that states that nothing will be open and they have lots of 'Big' storms! Has anyone been to La sables campsite at beginning of Sept before and can they tell me generally what to expect whether wise and if everything is indeed shut?!

12 replies to this topic
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

I have been to the Vendee at the end of August/start of September a few times. The weather can be hot and sunny, or cool, cloudy and wet. There is no way to predict it.

It's true that lots of things start to close at the end of August, such as the kids activities on camp sites, but there will still be plenty of activities and restaurants open.

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

We had two weeks booked with Carisma for the end of August a couple of years ago; it's easily the worst holiday we've ever had. It was pretty chilly and it rained heavily for most of the time we were there. Aside from the weather, the site was simply awful and we abandoned the holiday after ten days in favour of an hotel away from the coast.

Don't rely on the campsite food, as it was closed the second week and in any case wasn't very good.

The town of Les Sables is great - if you spend as much time there as possible you'll be able to make the most of the holiday. And it was mostly open too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

We stayed briefly at this site in July 2011. I would agree with the last assessment of this site, absolutely awful. Lots of yobs in the bar and the pool area, whole place looks tired and in need of a re-vamp. Restaurant very tacky, plastic seats and tables, very un-inviting. Emplacements are very tightly packed in leaving room to park a car and very little else in between. Surrounding area of Les Sables is very unattractive, quite industrial with huge megastores etc. This was the only holiday we have ever cut short for any reason.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

What is wrong with these people??? We are about to book our eighth (i think!) holiday at les Sables with Carisma. We have never had a poor one. Interesting to note I think that many of the grumblers are concerned with the weather. Go to Ibiza, it's hot there all the time, but a characterless hole by comparison. Yes, it rains very occasionally. Very occasionally. That's the time to hit the brilliant seafood markets, restaurants, events, etc and not the "industrial" areas or "megastores". They can easily be avoided.

As for the site, "some of the people some of the time" syndrome here. WE love it. We have three children and they (like us) really can't wait to get back to the place. The pool is fab. The shop is a little basic granted, but when you need milk, butter, croissants, etc, it's there. Very sorry to hear from Robert that he didn't like the people in the bar - we have made very good friends in there that we still keep in touch with and are pleased to visit. Lovely people.

The Carisma team on site have been, on each of our visits, absolute stars. From coming to collect the kids for the club in the morning to replacing gas at bizarre hours they were faultless in carrying our their tasks with a smile. They occasionally bought us a drink at the bar.

It is one of the most relaxing, pleasant, well-catered, well-placed, well-run sites we have been to.

Don't hesitate folks. Go.

We're rebooking now!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

All I can say in reply to west65 is you must be a glutton for punishment, If you think this is one of the most pleasant and well run sites you must have been to some pretty awful places. We have been to a few French campsites, most really good, this place is awful by comparison. No, I didn't like the people in the bar, but more importantly, none of the site or Carisma staff made any attempt to control these drunks, I think even you would have had trouble trouble striking up a friendship with these particular people. My main problem with this holiday was what I consider to be the very misleading description of the site and surrounding area in the Carisma brochure, I couldn't recognise much at all from the text and photos promoting the place. Of course, for reasons that escape me, some people will like this place. As I said in my review this was the one and only time we have ever cut short a holiday. If anyone reading this books to go, fine, but don't say you weren't told.

6. Re: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2012, 19:06

7. Re: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2012, 19:11

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

In reply to the question, My wife and I and twin daughters aged 4 have just returned from this very camp-site and it was easily one of the best holidays ever. The camp-site was clean and with an on site restaurant was good, lovely food.The Carisma reps were all fantastic and went out of their way to help you if there was a problem. The camp-site its self is really well situated and all the camp-site facilities including the shop and launderette are very good indeed.

As for the weather it was hot and sunny for the whole 2 week period apart from 2 nights where we had storms but this wasn't a problem as it cooled it down nicely and if by any chance you do have bad weather there is plenty to do in near by towns Zoo aquarium etc. etc

Rob - Leeds

Southern Wales...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

I feel nervous since looking at the negative reviews as I have booked 2 weeks at the beginning of August 2014. We are taking our 3 and 5 year old, then my sister her family and mutual friends with their family are joining us for our 2nd week. The promotion of the site looks fab and my sister as had several telephone conversations with manager prior to booking . All seems positive and ideal for our first family holiday camping ( luxury caravan ).We've only paid the deposit . Feel uneasy:(

Southern Wales...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite

I feel nervous since looking at the negative reviews as I have booked 2 weeks at the beginning of August 2014. We are taking our 3 and 5 year old, then my sister her family and mutual friends with their family are joining us for our 2nd week. The promotion of the site looks fab and my sister as had several telephone conversations with manager prior to booking . All seems positive and ideal for our first family holiday camping ( luxury caravan ).We've only paid the deposit . Feel uneasy:(

Reply to: Carisma Holidays - La Sables campsite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Les Sables-d'Olonne