We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Provence

I am planning a 4 day three trip to Provence in late January. Any reccomendations what town in provence to stay in to be the most centrally located? Avignon? Aix-en-Provence? St. Remy?

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Aix-en-Provence
Aix-en-Provence
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,787 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence

Were you considering Bandol, since that's the forum you specified?

If not, where to stay begins with the question "Will you have a car?" If you won't, you would probably want to stay in a city with good rail connections, such as Avignon or Aix. St-Remy is not reachable by train.

Mentioned in this post
Bandol
Bandol
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence

I assume that you will have a car, as many of the most interesting places are not easily accessible via public transportation,.

Also keep in mind that many important sites have limited opening hours in the "off-season" - ie: late fall through very early spring, and that many hotels and restaurants close for vacation during what they consider to be the off-season.

I urge you to get the most current Guide Michelin Guide - red, as it will have information regarding annual closings of restaurants and even hotels.

With regard to a great base for exploring Western Provence, we have spent every September since '95 about 12-15 minutes from St. Remy, and find it to be a perfect base. Needless to say "we love it" - only another 305 days until we're back - but, hey, who's counting ???

Your main issue with regard to travelling in late January will concern hotels and restaurants. I would recommend St. Remy because it will provide you with easy access to the entire region - 30 minutes to Arles / 40 min. to Avignon / 15 min. to Les Baux etc, and it is large enough so that it is a viable place to stay, with good hotels and restaurants, even in the dead of winter .

I urge you to take a copy of the current Red Guide Michelin, as it will list the dates that hotels and restaurants are closed for vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provence

As ever, I'm banging the drum for Marseille, partly because it's a great place to visit in its own right, partly because it's at the hub of a great network of transport connections. You can get to Aix very quickly via train or bus shuttles and there are regular rail services to Avignon and Arles. Aubagne (Marcel Pagnol country) is a short train or bus ride away. Not to mention boat trips to the calanques or the Chateau d'If, some of which continue to operate in winter.

If you are renting a car, it's a very different matter and then Marseille is not the ideal option, but I'd say it is definitely the best choice for anyone relying on public transport.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Chateau d'If
Chateau d'If
1,348 Reviews
Marseille, France
provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provence

I agree with all the posts but would emphasise having a car and basing yourself in one of the larger towns Aix, Avignon or Arles.

Make sure the hotel has a car park for no other reason than convenience (though as with all hire cars in any country there is also the element of security as required by the rental agreement).

Do also be aware though that late January can be fairly desolate in some of the rural areas of westen Provence. Yes the normal shops etc for the locals will be open but other attractions that many remember Provence for will not be operating - I rember shortly before we bought in Provence standing in the same village in late January as I had the previous August. In August shorts and T shirt (and still too hot), in January thick cord trousers, shirt, jumper, overcoat, scarf, gloves and still freezing!

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Provence

We have twice stayed in Avignon in early January. Both times we had mainly sunny weather and we greatly enjoyed ourselves. We found Avignon to be a lovely town and a great base for driving around the area. Arles, even at that time of year, had rather too many tour groups.

Hotel D'Europe is by far the best in the town but it is not cheap. We also enjoyed a stay in the much cheaper L'horloge.

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
237 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Provence

If you don't have a car, I would suggest staying Aix - their bus station services many parts of the region or you could simply stay put and enjoy the local sights/sounds.

7. Re: Provence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2011, 05:16