We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking to calanque en vau

San Francisco
3 posts
Save Topic
Hiking to calanque en vau

Hi

I am traveling to Cassis for a day trip in between our travels from Marseille and Nice. I am traveling with my gf first week of April and we are both athletic.

I have heard that there is an easy hike and a difficult hike to en vau from Cassis. I wouldn't mind taking a boat there, or train closer to spend more time on the beach. We have about 9 hours in Cassis and this is on my list.

Can anyone shed any light on this mystery?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Helsinki
Level Contributor
1 post
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking to calanque en vau

The easy hike requires that you have a car. You then drive to a parking place a bit closer to en Vau, then walk a good gravel road down to En Vau. The walk is about 50 min down, 1 hour up.

The so called difficult hike is along the GR from the parking in Cassis. This is a real footpath and requires some light hiking (hiking boots recommended). For the last bit there are several options, the GR path is easy but does not follow the coast all the way, or you can swith to the (blue?) path, which is very steep at the end and ends up right at the beach. Takes about 1h30 min to 2 hrs.

San Francisco
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking to calanque en vau

Hi thanks for the information,

We actually are already back from our trip and I should share what I learned since this is something I REALLY wanted to do. There was some nerves about this since I had a hard time finding good information online and lack of good maps online. I ended up doing google satelite and asking people there about it.

We left by bus from Marseille a quick 30 min ride and hiked from the central part of Cassis with a good but not great idea of where we were going. There were signs along the neighborhoods pointing us to the 1st callanque. We then took the long way past the 2nd callanque back up the mt. towards the "parking lot" and back down past the green "house" which is more of a large metal storage shed. The total trip for the long way was only 1.5 hours from the cassis downtown.

When we got to the callanque we say a dad with a baby on his pack, a 3 year old in sandals and a mom in sandals coming down the "steep short path". At this point my gf and I started cracking up that we didn't take this path. We went back the "difficult" way and it took about an hour total to central cassis. If you have normal walking ability you can do the "difficult" shorter path no problem. If you need a cane or walking stick for balance I would not recommend it.

The only advice I could find online prior was DO NOT PARK YOUR CAR FOR ANY REASON in the parking lot. You will be robbed and vandalized and its an easy walk from Cassis.

Thanks again for your help and I hope this takes some of the "adventure anxiety" out of someone eles's trip to callanque en vau"

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking to calanque en vau

Did you like what you saw, even if the hike was not too challenging?

San Francisco
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking to calanque en vau

yes it was beautiful.. i went more for the view then the hike

5. Re: Hiking to calanque en vau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 05:34
Get answers to your questions about Cassis