We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Car rental

My husband and I will be staying in Cassis in May for 10 nights. We would like to rent a car so that we can explore Provence. Is there a car rental place in Cassis or is the closest option Marseilles?

Any advice is appreciated.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

How are you arriving in France? Through Marseille airport? If so, the best is to rent there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

We are arriving in Marseilles, but do not want the car for our entire trip, just a couple of days. We just want to be sure there is no where to return the car closer to Cassis.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,355 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

The web sites of the major companies have lists of their agencies. For example, go to www.europcar.fr and click on "Trouver une agence" in the menu at left. On the next page, set the country (Pays) to France and you can then get a list of all the towns that have a Europcar office. Select a town, and you get the address(es) of the office(s). This shows that Europcar does not have an office in Cassis, but there might be some other town you would like to use.

You could also try www.hertz.fr and www.avis.fr

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

Unless you are a real beach goer or want to hike the calanques daily, I would suggest keeping the vehicle to explore Provence. The best way getting to and from the airport is by car, unless handling luggage in a bus + train or bus doesn't bother you.

Cassis is a village so you may find yourself wanting to discover other villages of Provence as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

Thanks to all of you for the terrific advice!

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

Could I add that if you are staying in Cassis and plan to rent a car, I would make sure there is parking available as Cassis is small and gets congested. There is a park and ride outside the town, but that might not suit you.

Additionally while you don't want the car in Marseille, Cassis town is two miles from Cassis station, so you might want to take this into account in your planning. You can get a bus from Marseille to Cassis centre, and there are shuttle buses from the station but they are not all that frequent.

7. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 19:24