We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

Which Cassis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

We have a leased car in August and have 5 nights after we leave Paris to arrive in Cassis. Its our first time in France countryside and when we depart Cassis we will be making our way back up to Switzerland and Australia so I would really appreciate any suggestions of a scenic route to take - we prefer country roads and scenery to visiting cities though I realise we may need to do some motorway driving from time to time. Being August can we still hope to find B&B accommodation with just booking 14hrs ahead or do we need to be more organised with our stops. Many thanks in advance.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

in August, the better properties will have been booked up for months. You'll need to reserve as far in advance as possible for chambres d'hotes -- hotels might be available the day before, but even that is iffy.

Use www.viamichelin.com for your route planning -- it will give you options for Michelin-recommended, fastest, shortest, and cheapest, which avoids toll roads whenever possible. It also will show you hotels, restaurants, and tourist sites along your route. (Michelin is an amazingly powerful travel tool when you explore all the things that it can do!)

Straight through, Cassis would be 9-10 hours of autoroute driving, so you have oodles and oodles of time to wander your way along.

Do be aware that because it's August, all those chambres d'hotes are booked for a reason -- the southern parts of France are **heaving** with people during August -- make sure your patience is in top form.

Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

thank you...yep expecting lots of people. We are looking at 3 nights in a b&b in Monestier and then perhaps another 2 nights closer to Cassis....do you happen to know Monestier?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

No, sorry, I don't, but I'd urge you to book as soon as possible.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

Sandy: do you have a particular reason for going to Monestier? It is not the most direct route you could take, even if you avoid the motorways.

For somewhere between Monestier and Cassis, you could try Narbonne (with a stop off to see Carcassonne en route).

As others have said, it will be very busy and so you should try to secure your accommodation ASAP.

Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

thank you.....we are reassessing because of that and now looking at Chabris and then Cahors but will also check out Narbonne and then Carcassonne. We are thinking of 3 nights in one base and 2 nights in a second and are keen on visiting some wine growing areas

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

Hi sandy, we too are doing a driving trip from Paris to cassis, for 7 days though, but to throw a spanner in the works have you Googled the images of avignon, sault or aix-en-provence, These are mind blowing in their beauty and very french!! You will have a wonderful trip no matter what you do, it is France after all...We won't be travelling till June and July next year but are nearly ready to book given the time of year, so I do agree with others to not leave it to chance. Would love to hear what you get up to, so let me know and ENJOY! ! Naomi.

Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

thanks Naomi...we are actually travelling for 4 months in all so have been just making our decisions just a few weeks or so in advance though I did book a week in Cassis last year (currently in southern Spain and then visiting Morocco before France). Did look at aix-en-Provence but have decided we will do a day trip there from Cassis.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

Sandy: south of Carcassonne in the area of Languedoc-Roussillon between Perpignan and Narbonne are the vineyards of Fitou,

If you like a red wine, then try Mont Tauch Fitou

mont-tauch.com/english/about-mont-tauch.asp

mont-tauch.com/english/mont-tauch-visitor-ce…

9. Re: suggestions for 5 nights driving from Paris to Cassis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:16