We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel during Tour de France

Which Gap hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel during Tour de France

I want to visit France and see a couple stages of the Tour...any info on how to find a hotel in Gap or somewhere else along the route. How hard is it to drive from Gap to one of the other stages. Would I need a hotel at each stage?

8 replies to this topic
Washington state
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel during Tour de France

Okay, so stage 16 finishes in Gap, stage 17 starts there. I would say the chances of finding a place to stay in Gap that night between the 2 stages is pretty much nil (unless you already have a reservation). Not including the fans, the Tour involves thousands of people involved with the race who need a place to stay. The teams, officials, promoters usually find out which towns are the stops and make reservations before the official route is announced to the public.

But finding a place to watch the Tour at a random spot along the road during any stage is not hard at all. Just drive to a point where you intersect the route along the way.

Finding a place to watch the defining portions of a stage: the finish, the summits of climbs, involves getting close to the route 4-6-8 hours before the peloton is due at the point you want to watch, then walking a long ways to get to that point. But I've done it and highly recommend it, as long as you know what you're in for. And it's not just the racers that are fascinating, the whole tour circus is something to see.

Sammamish, WA
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel during Tour de France

Not sure if you have already booked something or not.... but it is now Jul 1, 11 and we have just successfully booked 2 rooms at Hotel F1 (apparently #1 of 13 hotels in Gap!) for the night of Jul 18 for cheap ($60/night/room). We will be based near Grasse and will only drive up there for 1 night stay, but it is quite amazing that we found something at such a bargain so last minute!

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

A.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel during Tour de France

Do you know where the finish is from the Formula1 hotel? We are coming down from Alpe d'Huez by taxi to watch the finish, and staying there for the night also, but dont know where the start is the next day either.

regards

Debbie

Washington state
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel during Tour de France

Not sure if I've got the stages straight that you're talking about, but stage 17, Gap to Pinerolo (July 20) starts somewhere on Ave. du Marechal Foch in Gap. Riders roll out of start area at 1230, they roll slowly through the streets for 2.1 km and then actually start racing at 1235.

I went to the start of stage 5 in Carhair a few weeks ago, and found that a good spot to stake out is near the rider sign-in area, since they also line up to start somewhere close by. But you'll have to ask several folks to get a good idea of where that sign-in really is, because several places looked like it could be it. The real advantage to the spot i had (got there about 2 hrs. ahead of time to have a place in the front at the barricade) was that the entire peloton lined up for the start right in front of me, and they are there for 5-10 minutes chatting while they wait for their full contigent to arrive. That was really fun to see and I got some great photos!

The best details about the various start areas and streets used was in that morning's local (or regional) newspaper. In Carhair, it was packed with thousands of people hours ahead of time. More folks there than at the finish line the day before. But it's a big deal for a small city like that to get the tour depart. Because of Gap's geographic position, it has a start or finish there almost every year, so that might draw a few less, but that I don't know.

Washington state
Level Contributor
681 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel during Tour de France

Did any of you get to see the Tour?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel during Tour de France

Oh yes, finish at gap with the mighty Thor winning, signing on and start next day, alpe d'huez on a famous bend, time trial grenoble, day trip to Paris to see our cav get the green jersey, back to huez to collect stuff, Lyon, London, then return isle of man sling but v happy ;)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel during Tour de France

Oh yes, finish at gap with the mighty Thor winning, signing on and start next day, alpe d'huez on a famous bend, time trial grenoble, day trip to Paris to see our cav get the green jersey, back to huez to collect our stuff, Lyon, London, then return isle of man sling but v happy ;)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel during Tour de France

Oh yes, finish at gap with the mighty Thor winning, signing on and start next day, alpe d'huez on a famous bend, time trial grenoble, day trip to Paris to see our cav get the green jersey, back to huez to collect stuff, Lyon, London, then return isle of man sling but v happy ;)

Reply to: Hotel during Tour de France
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gap
Recent Conversations