We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a cab to a local village from Vaison la Romaine

Which Vaison-la-Romaine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a cab to a local village from Vaison la Romaine

We will be visiting Vaison in May for 3 days and we are considering getting a cab to a local village for wine tasting and lunch. Although we will have a rental car with us we do not want to worry about driving on small unknown roads when we are enjoying a few glasses of wine. We are considering going to Gigondas and Cairanne. Are these good choices for wine tasting options? Is it practical to consider taking a cab and are they expensive? We are 4 adults.

5 replies to this topic
Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a cab to a local village from Vaison la Romaine

"We are considering going to Gigondas and Cairanne. Are these good choices for wine tasting options?"

Yes, great choices. You could arrange for a day or half a day with a local taxi service. You can find a few listed here:

www.vaison-la-romaine.com/spip.php?article362

However, it might prove expensive. You'd simply have to call and ask, then compare to the price of guided wine tours.

It might be easier to contact the Vaison tourist office and ask them about a guided wine tour. I'm sure they'd be able to offer suggestions.

http://www.vaison-ventoux-tourisme.com/

A search on this site will bring up a few that have been discussed in the past.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a cab to a local village from Vaison la Romaine

Hi, thank you so much for your speedy response. We were thinking of just having the cab drop us off in the village so we could tour the caves and have lunch at our own pace rather than have an organized tour. Perhaps we could arrange for the cab to return for us in 5 – 6 hours, something like that. I will take your advice and contact the tourist board and see is they have any suggestions. I will also contact our hotel and see if they can help. The more I research I do the more I can find on Gigondas which looks lovely. I am not able to find too much out about Cairanne, apart from the fact that it has lots of wineries. Is there one village you would recommend over the other?

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a cab to a local village from Vaison la Romaine

Gigondas would be easy to visit and your idea of taking the taxi over, walking through and doing some tasting (easily done from the center of town), perhaps having lunch in town (many choices there) and then having the taxi come back for you at a designated time sounds very good to me. Cheaper than an organized wine tour too.

I have favorite wines in the region, but they would really require a car. The caves within walking distance of the center of Gigondas (and IN the town center) are very good and will likely please you.

My favorite resto in Gigondas is Les Florets, but you would not be able to walk to it. It is about 2kms outside of the village. You could probably arrange a taxi from the town center to the resto and back, with a little planning. It's a great restaurant. But, there are several other good restaurants in the village to choose from.

http://hotel-lesflorets.com/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,267 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a cab to a local village from Vaison la Romaine

Such a pretty little town

nickbooth.id.au/Europe11/…Gigondas1.jpg

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts