We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should our family stay last two nights in near St. Tropez?

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Should our family stay last two nights in near St. Tropez?

We are a family of five with 13 year old boy and two girls age 17 and 23.

We have a short two weeks in France.

4 Nights in Paris

3 Nights in Aix

3 Nights in Nice near the port

Last night in late June is at Airport in Parix.

We have two nights at end of our trip after Nice to stay somewhere. I was thinking the kids would love couple nights in or near St. Tropez. The prices are mind bogling unless we stay in St. Maxime' which I admittedly know very little about and not sure it would be good choice. Otherwise for the five of us its around $800 or more per night. We like the beach and the fun and the activities and I am willing to splurge. Am I on the right track staying in near St Tropez? Is it worth the splurge? Is there a better town to stay in (Like St. Maxine?) which would allow us to enjoy our final two nights in France (actually our last night is Sunday June 29 at Charles De Gaulle airport) If we do this I book the TGV from St Raphael directly to airport. (I am hoping St. Raphael is close?) Would sincerely appreciate advice and suggestion in terms of the the hotel location for family and if perhaps this is a good or bad plan. I was thinking the teenagers would like the extra nights on the beach area whereas I would rather be drinking wine in the Loire Valley. Thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,158 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should our family stay last two nights in near St. Tropez?

St Tropez is a hassle to get in and out of. I'd have a look further west at Cassis.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should our family stay last two nights in near St. Tropez?

Ste Maxime is a pleasant little family resort with nice, sandy beaches, directly across the water from St Tropez. It's fine as a place to stay. It offers the best available access to St Tropez by public transport either by ferry or by bus. Ferry details are here:

http://www.bateauxverts.com/en/navettes/ (click on "read the web brochure")

Bus details are here:

varlib.fr/ftp/FR_lignes/7601%20avril%20bd.pdf

The ferry costs Euro 13.50 return for adults and takes 20 minutes. The bus costs Euro 3 each way and, according to the timetable, should take 35 minutes. That, however, is not to be counted on in summer. Late-June is just before the peak, but will be busy and the bus is likely (a) to be running 30 minutes or more behind schedule and (b) to take 60 minutes or more to arrive at its destination.

The drawback to both bus and ferry is that they drop you in the town of St Tropez which is picturesque and has a lot to offer. But if the objective is to visit also the beaches (and beach clubs) of Pampelonne, you will need a taxi or your own car.

If you're proposing to rent a car anyway, that opens up other possibilities of places to stay. To avoid the worst of the traffic congestion, I'd suggest staying to the west of St Tropez so you can approach by the "backdoor" route which avoids the huge traffic giratory at La Foux. Ramatuelle would be my first pick.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should our family stay last two nights in near St. Tropez?

As papluvoise says Ste Maxime is a pleasant family resort and totally different to St Trop. But really neither is 'worth the splurge' when somewhere like Juan les Pins is on your doorstep in Nice. Plenty of beach for the children and sidewalk cafes and beach front restaurants to drink wine in . All the atmosphere without the hype and expense of St Tropez. And you can get the TGV to Paris from Antibes or Cannes.

Ed

Reply to: Should our family stay last two nights in near St. Tropez?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gassin