We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how bad are the bends on the road up to Alpe d`Huez

london
Level Contributor
218 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
how bad are the bends on the road up to Alpe d`Huez

I am just about to book a skiing holiday in Alpe d`Huez but I am really concerned about the journey by bus from Grenoble up the mountain. My children get really car sick and wondered is it unbearably steep up to the resort with what seems like 30 hairpin bends - the thought of the journey turns my stomach and it would make me choose another resort if it was so bad. Can anyone help please thanks

Auvergne
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how bad are the bends on the road up to Alpe d`Huez

The road to Alpe d'Huez is very good and quite large and the bends are much more negociable than other ones in the Alps, and you should not worry about the journey by bus.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how bad are the bends on the road up to Alpe d`Huez

My daughter used to get car sick but managed Alpe d'Huez OK. As they are hairpin bends you have to slow right down for each one so somehow not so bad. Also as they are numbered you know exactly how many more you have. Just to be on the safe side a travel sickness tablet perhaps.

London
Level Contributor
117 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how bad are the bends on the road up to Alpe d`Huez

I don't like car journeys or heights so I was nervous the first time we negotiated them but they aren't that bad. You travel so slowly round them you don't notice how tight the corners are. They should be fine, maybe a travel sickness pill just in case.

I travelled worse in Greece so you should be fine!

london
Level Contributor
218 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how bad are the bends on the road up to Alpe d`Huez

I am so please you all have said that it is ok I am going ahead with booking now thanks very much

5. Re: how bad are the bends on the road up to Alpe d`Huez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about L'Alpe-d'Huez