We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please...

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Help please...

Hi,

I am flying into Grenobly Sunday and hiring a car to drive to Alpe d'Huez. Can anyone please tell me roughly how the drive will be and is it a safe drive. I am scared stiff of heights.

Also has anyone stayed at Hôtel Le Pic Blanc? i am staying on business in Grenoble but do not fancy staying there.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

London
Level Contributor
117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please...

Hi

The drive is well signposted and quite simple. It does jam in a couple of places tho where the road goes through a couple of villages and narrows up. It'll take an hour or so depending on traffic as you come out of Grenoble.

You should be ok at this time of the year as the road won't be covered in thick snow - if it was march i'd recommend you got yourself friendly with some snow chains!! Just be aware of the weather conditions as you go up.

The heights aren't really a problem (i don't like them and I was ok) as you'll be concentrating on the road, just be careful of the hair pin bends on the way up into Alpe d'Huez, the buses do use both lanes as they go round the corners and people do try to go round them at the same time!

Le Pic Blanc is in Les Bergers area of the town, there's a car park just outside and the hotel looks lovely. Not stayed in that one myself, we stayed in the cheaper apartments behind it! But it did always look inviting - prob one of the better ones in the town.

2. Re: Help please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about L'Alpe-d'Huez