We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpe with a motorhome?

Durham
Level Contributor
33 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Alpe with a motorhome?

Hi,

Anybody been to the Alpe in a motorhome? Just wondering about parking up there rather than in a campsite. I know there are 2 aires for about €10 a night.

Have checked some live webcams and seems like a lot of campers park up in general carparks and overnight in them? Anybody done it and can recommend any spots?

Cheers

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alpe with a motorhome?

The review below of the Aire at Alpe D'Huez Campsite is dated July 2010 and rated as a very pleasant place to stay.

If you're interested in this site I can provide extra info if required.

Hard standings

Children Welcome

Suitable for RVs OVER 30ft

Latitude: 45.08758879131218

Longitude: 6.079044342041016

Number Of Pitches: 75

Information: Large aire on the outskirts of alped'huez (1/4 les bergers). Full facilitites.

Steep ascent/decent to the resort.

Very popular in the ski season, if its full then you can also park up in the lower main carpark at 1/4 les bergers (satnav 45-05-19 06-04-32)

Attractions Nearby: ski slopes

Open From: January/

Open Till: December/

Cost per night (High Season): €5 per person

Cost per night (Low Season): €5 per person

Cost for Services(Hookup/Water):

Campsite Type: Aire

Address: parking de brandes

Alpe D'Huez

Region: Rhône-Alpes

Town: Alpe D'Huez

Bath, United Kingdom
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alpe with a motorhome?

I have been skiing at l'alpe -d'huez and there is an aire in the the village you tavel over the site on one of the lifts , it looked very full when we were there 4 years ago, i am going again this weekend so will check if its still open.

i would have noticed this as we are motorhomers as well.

cheers chris

Durham
Level Contributor
33 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alpe with a motorhome?

Just thought i would follow up with my experience..

First night we parked in one of the main car parks on Avenue Rif Nel, right next to the public toilets. Its free to park there and we had no hassle at all, arriving at 8pm and sleeping there.

The next night the please knocked on the door around 10pm telling us it was forbidden to park in this spot after 10pm and we had to move to the Motorhome Aire at Altiport, where as previously mentioned it cost €10,40 per night (NOT €5 per person) and there was a public toilet right at the aire, as well as water and waste facilites and bins.

Police were really nice and helped us pay for the Aire at the pay machine at the entrance to the aire, with our credit card.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alpe with a motorhome?

can we park a car there for the climb up the Huez? Be glad to pay! How far up the climb are you located? Thanks, TG

Cardiff, Wales...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Alpe with a motorhome?

There is plenty of free parking around the village in designated car parks. I have driven over several times and never had a problem parking up for the week :)

Im on here looking for Motorhome advice as Im hoping to persuade my parents to lend me theirs!!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alpe with a motorhome?

I'm on here looking for Motorhome advice as I'm hoping to persuade my parents to lend me theirs!!

Send me 50 quid and I'll write to them and give you a glowing reference!!

Dunbar, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alpe with a motorhome?

This poast is far too late, but may help in the future.

We take our 8m motorhome to the French Alps for three weeks anually. Late Jan - early Feb, escaping just before the very busy French school holidays.

We are lazy intermediates - retired - and dont ski in bad weather, crowds or poor snow. (Just so you you know what we like)

LES SAISIES is great. We use the free aire outside the town. The ski bus stops there and its skis on/off within 200 yards. This year it was really cold and we only stayed 3 days. No hook up is the only downside.

MONTGENEVRE is the dogs * * * *. Over 200 places, all with 10 amp. Water and toilet emptying. Great views. Ski bus to site. 8/10 euros a night all in! Stayed 10 days this year on less than 13kgs propane. Busy at weekends with Italians, but all quiet by 6pm Sunday.

8. Re: Alpe with a motorhome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:15