We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

uk
6 posts
Save Topic
Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

Hi, what do people think of this chalet? I'm looking for somewhere for a nice family holiday in Les Gets in March. Would you recommend the Girolles?

Thanks in advance for any advice :-)

Mentioned in this post
Les Gets
Les Gets
Portes du Soleil, France
manchester
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

Hi,

We're just back an hour ago from a long weekend at Chalet Girolles. My honest and balanced opinion is that this is a nice Chalet in a terrible location. The only minor benefit is its proximity to the perriere chairlift. On the downside, the front door opens onto a busy main road, with cars, freight, coaches thundering past at 40mph plus. There is no pavement and you are expected to brave a couple of blind corners on the 20 minute walk into Les Gets. You really do find yourself isolated from the centre and its restaurants and bars. We found the walk to be very dangerous, especially with a child. The only options on offer seem to be to try and book a cab, or catch the ski bus from down the road, which also involves the perilous hike along the main road. We found ourselves wishing we'd stayed in the centre at one of the nice hotels there. Dont be fooled by the description of the chalet being 500m from the centre or a 10 min walk, you can double both!

Mentioned in this post
Les Gets
Les Gets
Portes du Soleil, France
uk
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

Hi, thanks. I'm not sure we'd go out that much at night though, having young kids, so the distance might not be a problem. It's good that it is close to a lift. Does it have a good sized living area etc?

manchester
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

The living area is a good size. Just be aware of having to walk down that road with young kids - you still have to walk a good 300 yrds down the road just to get to the closest chairlift. It's also a long red run down to the lift so make sure you can all ski it. The nursery slopes are accessible from the village

uk
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

Thanks for your advice.

I have gone ahead and booked, it was a good price!!

I'll report back on my return!

uk
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

Thought I would report back.

I had a good time and found the staff helpful and the food tasty. The chalet was always clean too. Only issue I had was with the road which is outside the chalet, but in fairness the piste is only about 200m away, so a coupla minutes walk.

I love Les Gets and the snow is fab this year!! I would say any fears about Alpine Elements are unfounded.

Mentioned in this post
Les Gets
Les Gets
Portes du Soleil, France
Wales
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

We're intersted in this Chalet. We have an 11 and an 8 year old. What did you think?

lymington
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

what a load of rubish we stayed there ,there was traffic but it was no problem to walk down the road below the property to the village we did most nights a wonderful safe stroll in the snow,glad i didnt meet you on the slopes if you could not fin the lower road.

uk
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

good luck with your holiday alpine are rubbish and they dont have les groilles anymore ... where did they put you up

Oxford
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

We stayed at the Chalet Martine in Feb with Alpine Elements. Well, stayed is putting it a bit loosely. We managed 1 night before we checked out. This was truly the most appalling accomodation we have ever visited. A broken bed, no window in one of the rooms, and sharing with the chalet laundry room. Absolutely scandalous. This is my first ever post, so I am not sure if I have found the right place to vent my anger. Feel free to point me to a better place.

Cardiff, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Chalet Girolles Alpine Elements

We stayed at Chalet Girolles during July for a MTB & rafting holiday through Alpine Elements. After reading all the poor reviews we were rather concerned & almost cancelled our holiday (but didn't due to the fact we were unable to get a refund!). I must say we were pleasantly surprised. The chalet is typical - small rooms (but I've stayed in smaller) and it is on the road but there is room to walk back from town. The chalet hosts, Kev & Charlie were absolutely fantastic and the food exceptional. The entire holiday went smoothly, from transfer, to picking up equipment etc.

I'm so glad we didn't cancel our holiday but if there was some positive feedback I would have been a lot more re-assured prior to departure. The only downside is that Alpine Elements don't tell you that if you are MTB'ing, you will have to buy an additional pass to get your bike on the lifts - about 40euros extra p.p. but well worth it as it would ruin your day to have to ride up every mountain & it covers the whole of Portes de Soleil.