We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

Which Val Thorens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

Hi, please can anyone advise me on the best way to get to Val Thorens from Chambery Airport. I was hoping to get a coach transfer but not sure how to go about it or what I should expect to pay. Many thanks.

Geneva
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

http://www.altibus.com

+ type in your destination in 1st window that opens, arrival in 2nd window. next one type in dates of travel.. etc

You need some basic french for all this but I think you will be okay there.

If in doubt call back in here.

Geneva
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

Sorry meant choose place of departure in first window that opens.. (that is for you, of course, 'Aeroport de Chambery' in the drop down menu)

Edinburgh
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

Hi there, just wondered how you got on with the transfer. We are arriving in Chambery on Wednesday and looking at 'regular' shuttle bus service it is seemingly suggesting that it will cost us 540 Euro return for the bus (there are 2 of us). It also says that if it was the weekend it would only be 70 Euros return!!

www.altibus.com

Is this 540 Euros correct? That is a huge amount of money, more than our flights cost!

Is there a cheaper way of getting there? For example heading into Chambery and getting a train to somewhere close by?

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

Unfortunately transfers are expensive. The French ski market is very much geared up to people staying Saturday to Saturday. You could rent a car or else take the bus to Chambery station. From there you need a train to Moutiers and then either another bus or a taxi up to Val Thorens. The train takes about 1 hour 40 I think.

FYI at the beginning of January I paid €215 for three people and luggage Vallandry to Chambery airport.

Edinburgh
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

Cheers for the info!

I guess will just see what they can do when we get to airport. I just had a look on rail website. It offered return from Chambery to Moutiers Salins Brides just 34 euros for both of us. More hassle this way but to say we are on a a shoe string would be an understatement so probably worth the extra hassle.

Is Moutiers and Moutiers Salins Brides the same place?

both our french skills are shocking, could easily end up inthe wrong place.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

Yes it means Moutiers, Salins-les-Thermes and Brides-les-Bains. I hope!

Edinburgh
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

Just to let folks know my experiences.

There were different problems at Chamberry for flying in and out so we ended up flying to Geneva and Out of Geneva. Will just fly to geneva next time to save the mucking about, don't trust Chambery airport to be open.

There is direct bus from Geneva airport to Valthorens for 68 euros one way.

You can get bus from Val Thorens to Moutiers for 15 euros and a train from Moutiers to Chambery for another 15 euros.

essex
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

Hi

It is esxpensive in local taxi, takes about 2hrs 20 and they can charge you up to 500 euros each way!, think there is local bus? best way by far is to go with a travl company if you are not driving.

Paul

9. Re: Transfers from Chambery to Val Thorens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 14:16