We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

As part of a July ramble through the Cotswolds, I have the opportunity to visit either Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle before moving on to Cheltenham. (If I were to try to see both Snowshill and Sudeley, I would only be able to devote about an hour to each and I suspect I would feel rushed.) I will have seen such places as Kelmscott Manor and Hidcote Manor on previous days. I have visited a number of castles and stately homes on previous visits to England. I tend to like things that are authentic and not overly commercialized. For example, I much preferred Chartwell and Sissinghurst to Hever which seemed to be trying way to hard.

28 replies to this topic
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

Snowshill Manor is on a smaller scale than the other places you mention and is very quirky. It is full of items the previous owner collected and the gardens are really pretty. I think you will find it different from other places you've seen and I would choose it over Sudeley Castle every time.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

Based on what you have said, I think that Snowshill would be unique and therefore more memorable. You have reinforced the direction my mind was taking. Thank-you.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

Well, do report back on your visit. I thought that Snowshill Manor was a cluttered, junk filled house of no interest. For me it was the was the biggest waste of a Sunday afternoon in England that I can remember. To be fair, though, the Brits visiting seemed be fascinated by the junk, reminding them of the stuff that used to be in granny or great-granny`s farm house.

We quite enjoyed our time at Sudeley Castle, although the best part was the chance to visit nearby Winchcombe. Particularly liked the church, not one of the great wool churches like Cirencester or Northleach, but still very impressive.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
12,041 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

Ronw! Thanks for your report. We are going to have the very same dilemma in July. It was useful.

Yuri.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 09:01
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

I think you should stick with Sudeley Castle, the rose gardens will be lovely in July.

6. Re: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 January 2016, 18:34

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

My thanks go to all who have responded. I must confess, I'm still torn. I love all things Arts and Crafts and have included Red House (London), Kelmscott Manor and Hidcote Manor and Gardens in our itinerary. Kiftsgate should be easy to also include. Snowshill is supposed to be an adorable little town. I have read a Telegraph article on Sudeley which also made it seem worthwhile. All input is appreciated!!!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

Each to their own Ronw but I certainly don't considers a very large proportion of the content of Snowshill to be junk. He certainly collected an incredibly wide range of items and that, for me, is a large part of the appeal of the place. So often you will visit a property with a very limited range of items e.g. just porcelain or mainly artworks. At Snowshill there should be something to suit most tastes, but clearly not all :-)

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
12,041 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

Kiftsgate seems like a must. Thank you Diz. G., I love TA!

OP, Have a wonderful trip

Yuri.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 18:32
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle

Sudeley was a ruim for over 200 years, before being partially rebuilt by some enthusiastic Victorians. Does this count as "authentic" to you? I have never been to Snowshill but I love the Sudeley gardens. It's all about the Tudors too, because Katherine Parr lived there. If you like the Tudors, you will probably love Sudeley.

Reply to: Snowshill Manor or Sudeley Castle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Snowshill