We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big White Ski Trip - stay in Kelowna or at Big White?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Big White Ski Trip - stay in Kelowna or at Big White?

We are planning a trip to Big White this coming spring. We have friends who live in Kelowna and can stay with them. Will we miss out on part of the experience of Big White by not staying at the hill?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big White Ski Trip - stay in Kelowna or at Big White?

i've stayed in kelowna and did the drive several days in a row. one day it was really quite scary coming down. so much fog we couldn't see the road. obviously free accommodations are nice. however, if you are going for a while, why not split it up and spend 2 nights on the hill. stepping out of a condo and hitting the hill without the drive is nice, going back for lunch if you want and enjoying the experience of the condo on a ski hill at night.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big White Ski Trip - stay in Kelowna or at Big White?

That is actually what I'm thinking, I don't like to impose so I think it would be the best of both worlds....

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Big White Ski Trip - stay in Kelowna or at Big White?

Any time you can have on the hill is a really great getaway! Kelowna can be a little nuts in the mornings with traffic depending where you are staying. There is certainly a different vibe at the resort than downtown. I agree, spend some time at with your friends, but for the true experience get a cabin you can ski in and ski out from.

BC
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big White Ski Trip - stay in Kelowna or at Big White?

Hi,

I live in Kelowna, after moving here from Ottawa and other Ontario locales.

I don't even like the drive to Big White! My hubby doesn't mind, but the mountain roads scare me when it is snowing and of course being a ski resort, it is snowing a lot. We have a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

We often take advantage of special offers and stay up there for a couple nights, as it is nice to not have to do the drive in the morning.

So I would agree to split your time. Our friends, family of five, came from Ontario for a ten day trip and did just that. They used the time in Kelowna to visit with us and also purchased the lower priced lift tickets that you can buy in town, and then rented their vehicle (one week rental) to drive up for a couple days of daily skiing, and then went up and stayed at Big White for 5 days.

Have fun!

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Big White Ski Trip - stay in Kelowna or at Big White?

Why not ask your friends to spend a day or two with you? Split the cost of the condo and no one has to worry about the drive.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big White Ski Trip - stay in Kelowna or at Big White?

I would definitely stay up at Big White if you can - at least for a few days. We have been to Big White three times from New Zealand, we have always stayed up there, it is such a great place to go, to be able to ski or snowboard out of your front door onto a run and then drop in home when you feel like a break or lunch or whatever is so good. We were advised by people in Kelowna to actually stay up there instead of staying in Kelowna. Enjoy, it is a fantastic place and we will certainly be going back for a fourth time.

7. Re: Big White Ski Trip - stay in Kelowna or at Big White?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2013, 10:25
Get answers to your questions about Big White