We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Palaces at Schloss Ludwigsburg

Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Three Palaces at Schloss Ludwigsburg

Hi there,

I have some questions about visiting the 3 palaces in December (schloss-ludwigsburg.de/en/…247755.html):

1) Train --> Palace: We will be travelling with the 3 day VVS ticket from Stuttgart. From the Ludwigsburg station, is it correct to catch a bus (421, 427, 430, 443, 444) to Residenzschloss as per the www.bahn.de schedule?

2) Favorite Palace: We plan to buy the 8 euro ticket to view both Favorite and main palace. After the 1:30 English tour, does the tour walk/transport us over to Favorite? Or do we have to find our own way over? It looks like a 15 min walk on Google maps.

3) Monrepos Palace: Is there an easy way to get to Monrepos and to view it from across the lake? It looks wonderful to photograph.

4) If we walk from the palaces, is the Christmas Market easy to find? And from the markets to the train station?

Thank you so much!

HY

Edited: 02 December 2012, 21:45
5 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Palaces at Schloss Ludwigsburg

Hi, if you want to see all the three palaces, Monrepos is a bit off. I would recommend starting with Schloss Monrepos. When taking the train to Ludwigsburg, don't get off at the Ludwigsburg train station, but at the S-Bahn stop "Favoritepark". From there it is a 20 min walk to Schloss Monrepos. I don't know if you are a good walker. If you are, consider this: Schloss Monrepos is connected to Schloss Favorite by a straight but rather long (pedestrian) alley. That means you can walk from Schloss Monrepos to Schloss Favorite. You will cross the Favoritepark where chances are good that you will encounter free-ranging deers. This will take you about an hour. Schloss Favorite is very close to Schloss Ludwigsburg, just across a street. Again, from Schloss Ludwigsburg you could walk to the Ludwigsburg train station, but don' forget to have a look at the market place on the way which is quite nice too.

If you are not able or willing to walk, then indeed, there are buses.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,993 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Palaces at Schloss Ludwigsburg

> but don' forget to have a look at the market place on the way which is quite nice too.

... and where also the Ludwigsburg Christmas market can be found.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Palaces at Schloss Ludwigsburg

If you want to visit Mon Repos first, take the S-4, not S-5. Both go to Ludwigsburg from Stuttgart, but only the S-4 has a stop there. You cannot enter this palace, only view its exterior. I doubt that the walk to Favorite takes that long, but it's a fair distance through the deer park. Note that English tours of the Residenz are usually only one a day in the early afternoon. The www.schloesser-magazin.de/en should have information on tour times.

If you walk back through town to the train station from the Residenz, you can do it via the town square where the Christmas Market is held. It is particularly nice after dark when the large angels are lit-up. It's only a 10-15 walk between the main palace and the train station, really no need for a bus.

The main bus stop for the palace is not that convenient. If you take it, head east (the direction of travel) and turn down the small street alongside the gardens. You'll probably end up there anyway if you take the much longer walk through the gardens which certainly won't be at their best.

Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Palaces at Schloss Ludwigsburg

Thanks everyone. Really helpful information. Googlemaps shows it is a half hour walk from the Favoritepark train station to Monrepos. A few more questions:

1) Is the road that leads from Monrepos to Favorite well travelled? It is a very straight line, but is it just bush-wacked or an actual road?

2) If we end up at Monrepos and want to take the bus down to Ludwigsburg Palace, is there a station close to Monrepos? What number is it? And what stop would I get off for the main Palace?

I might be overpreparing, but it will be colder in December and I don't want to be stuck without another option!

Thanks,

HY

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Palaces at Schloss Ludwigsburg

Hi, as far as I remember the alley is easy walkable, but I didn't pay that much attention to it. And the closest bus stop is called "Eglosheim Golfplatz" on line 424. Timetable states "16 min by foot". You can check connections here: www2.vvs.de/vvs2/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2…

424 doesn't go directly to the castle though.

BUT

I wouldn't recommend the bus anyway. Either walk to the residence if weather is nice and you're in the mood for walking, or take a taxi. (+49 7141 19410).

By the way, remember the phone number 19410. Together with the area code of the city you're in, it is valid throughout Germany (alongside with some other numbers).

There's also a luxury hotel ("Schlosshotel Monrepos" where you can order a taxi)

I am not sure however if Monrepos is worth visiting in December at all. In summer, it is beautiful. There are rowing boats for rent on the lake in front of it and a beer garden, but in December there's nothing. I definitely would skip it if the weather is nasty. But it's up to you. Enjoy your stay!

Reply to: Three Palaces at Schloss Ludwigsburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ludwigsburg
More Ludwigsburg Topics