We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel between Frankfurt, Bamberg, and Stuttgart

L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
314 reviews
Save Topic
travel between Frankfurt, Bamberg, and Stuttgart

I am traveling to Germany (1st time) mid October arriving Frankfurt early morning 0730 for a 3 nite stay in Germany. I need advice on most convienient/best routing from FRA to either city that best utilizes my time and effort in routing, such as FRA-STU or FRA-BAM 1st. Whichever city I visit 2nd I would just return to Frankfurt Airport on my day or return to USA for a late morning return flight. I need advice also on train travel as I think I will purchase a Germany railpass for 4 day travel 1st class, and would you suggest seat reservations as well for my comfort and convienence.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,960 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel between Frankfurt, Bamberg, and Stuttgart

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Bamberg

To: Stuttgart

> Whichever city I visit 2nd I would just return to Frankfurt Airport on my day or return to USA for a late morning return flight.

Than I would use Stuttgart as 2nd city as the travel time to Frankfurt Airport is shorter from Stuttgart.

> and would you suggest seat reservations as well for my comfort and convienence.

Not always necessary, esp. in first class. But if you want to be on the safe side reserve. You can reserve through the DB timetable. EUR 4,00 per seat reservation (incl. 1 change of trains). On regional trains seat reservations are not possible.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,283 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel between Frankfurt, Bamberg, and Stuttgart

You realize for a three night stay you will be spending considerable time traveling and little time actually visiting places of interest? Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) is about 70 minutes away from the Frankfurt Airport by the direct hourly fast ICE trains. Train information can be found at www.bahn.de then changing it to English near the top of the page.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel between Frankfurt, Bamberg, and Stuttgart

It is vanishingly rare that you need reservations in 1st class. It is usually maybe half full. In the 2nd, which is hardly less comfortable than the 1st class but significantly cheaper, reservations can be a good idea in busy times of the week (friday afternoon, sunday afternoon, monday morning etc.)

4. Re: travel between Frankfurt, Bamberg, and Stuttgart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Bamberg