We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Lech (Austria) in January

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving to Lech (Austria) in January

Does anybody know what the drive is like from Friedrichshafen airport to Lech in January? We are going skiing in Lech and I am trying to figure out the best airport to go from. The flights are cheapest into Friedrichshafen but the shuttle service only operates Friday through Sunday.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice you can give me.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,503 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Lech (Austria) in January

Train to Langen am Arlberg and from there by taxi/bus is still an option.

lech-zuers.at/xxl/…index.html

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Langen am Arlberg

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Lech (Austria) in January

Thanks for that.

I looked at the train but I think there are a number of changes from Friedrichshafen - anyone have any advice on the drive?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Lech (Austria) in January

The drive is totally easy. It's just over an hour.

From the airport follow yellow signs to B31 towards Lindau and Bregenz, then blue freeway signs to A96 towards Bregenz. On the Austrian side the freeway is named A14. Follow signs towards Innsbruck. A 14 turns into S14 after Bludenz. Take exit Langen am Arlberg and follow towards Lech. Easy and scenic drive.

You need to buy a "Pickerl", the Austrian freeway fee sticker. You can get it at gas stations on the German side in the greater Lindau area.

On your return fill up the car on the Austrian side as German gas prices are 30 cents more per liter.

Even though Ryanair prefer Hertz also check with www.sixt.de for rental cars as Sixt provides the nicest fleet (mostly Mercedes and BMW).

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Lech (Austria) in January

Thank you! Just the advice I needed.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Lech (Austria) in January

You'll definitely need winter tyres and maybe snow chains:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g262035-i3328-k901…

skiingthealps.com/Resorts/STAViewResort.aspx…

6. Re: Driving to Lech (Austria) in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Friedrichshafen