We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Snow Holiday in Germany - Christmas 2013

Heinsberg, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Family Snow Holiday in Germany - Christmas 2013

Hello, we are thinking of having a holiday in the snow, with our 2 daughters aged 5 & 7. Not necessarily to ski, (none of us can, and we really just want a relaxing break) so just to see the snow, maybe some sledding, build a snowman etc. I have heard that Oberstdorf is a great family area, but maybe that's more for the skiiers..... We are Australians, and have just moved to Germany 6 months ago, living up in the north-west, near to Dusseldorf. Any ideas? Thanks :)

6 replies to this topic
Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Snow Holiday in Germany - Christmas 2013

oberstdorf.de/urlaub/…winterwandern-mehr.html see if the timing fits with the holydays, sorry only german, around christmas the Alps are pretty well booked.

Maybe you get lucky and get some snow here http://en.harzinfo.de/ closer to your new home.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Snow Holiday in Germany - Christmas 2013

Hi Jacinta P,

Hope you're having fun in Germany! I'm also a recent (5 years) immigrant, and I love it here.

Sorry to have to say that you may not find all that much snow on the ground in December. You may find some snow in the nearby mountains, but maybe not enough for sledding or building a snowman. I know that here in Garmisch, we don't get that much snow in town until late December or January.

If you want guaranteed snow, you could consider the Engadin Valley in Switzerland (town of Scuol for example, or somewhere near St. Mortiz, or Zermatt on the other side of the country).

Hope you find a great place!

s

Edited: 05 October 2013, 14:47
Heinsberg, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Snow Holiday in Germany - Christmas 2013

Thanks heaps for the tips, I'll check it out. :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Snow Holiday in Germany - Christmas 2013

Hi, just another thought about family holiday. I love Oberstdorf - been there three times and don't ski. More into not-too-serious hiking. Anyway, snow cannot be guaranteed at town level in December, but snow on higher ground will ensure that your family will be able to toboggan, ski-bike or build a snowman within a short cable car ride at worst. Also Breitachklamm gorge well worth a visit...they even do torch-lit tours some nights. And town Therme is very good. If you are on a tight budget, you might consider Oberstaufen - I have taken my family there. A lot of the accommodation includes, free pass for cable cars, free bus to ski areas and free entry to excellent town swimming pool and therme. But Oberstdorf is higher and stands better chance of snow in town. Enjoy

5. Re: Family Snow Holiday in Germany - Christmas 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 October 2013, 20:37

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Snow Holiday in Germany - Christmas 2013

Both Oberstdorf and Oberstaufen probably would fit your needs although, as mentioned, snbw in December is not a sure thing. Obestaufen would have the afvantage that if snow conditions are not good, the Bodensee (Lake Constance) is only a short ride by car or train away. Lindau is a nice old town to visit, even in the winter. Bregenz and the car to the top of the Pfaender is also nearby, either by train, car or boat. .

In Oberrstdorf, the Neblhorn cable car will take you high enough to find snoew for sure. There are walking trails at the top of the mountain. Also, Fuessen is a possible day trip fro Obersrdorf by car.

The Kleine Walsertal is a string of nice mounain resorts. In the winter, this string of Austrian villages is only accessible through oBerstdorf, by bus or car. They each have theor own ski area.

I grew up in the area as a teenager.

Reply to: Family Snow Holiday in Germany - Christmas 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted