We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive along the Rhine

Which Bingen am Rhein hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Drive along the Rhine

Hi! We will be in Wiesbaden in early July and would like to drive from Bingen to Koblenz along the Rhine, making stops along the way. What route would take us through Bacharach, Oberwesel, St. Goar, Boppard, Koblenz and the other side of the river, Braubach? From Braubach, we would return to Wiesbaden. Is all this feasible for one leisurely day drive? We will be in Wiesbaden for 6 days, so we have time if this is too much for one day. Thanks for your help!

3 replies to this topic
Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive along the Rhine

The drive itself would take around 2 to 3 hours (Autobahn to Bingen, B9 to Koblenz, B42 back to Wiesbaden). The places you mentioned are all very interesting but you would need at least an hour or two at each of them to do them any justice. For activities like visiting castles or taking the chairlift you would need even longer.

So maybe you should focus on some of the towns or do two day trips.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive along the Rhine

You CAN do the drive in one day but, as detbo says, wouldn't do the places along much justice. A more leisurely pace would certainly make your trip all the more enjoyable. Visit all those spots in a whirlwind and they will probably all seem alike in recollection.

To visit Bacharach and Oberwesel plus taking the Boppard chairlift for the view of the river bend would imho be enough for one (probably hot!) summer day. Marksburg castle could be saved for a second day. You could visit other interesting places along the right side of the river that day such as Niederwald Memorial above Rüdesheim - seilbahn-ruedesheim.de/auswahl/impressionen/ -, Eberbach monastery (a must-see!) - http://kloster-eberbach.de/ - or the lovely town of Eltville.

Honestly, I'm not too fond of Koblenz. It certainly lacks the scenery of the smaller towns on the Rhine and for the bigger city feeling Wiesbaden is definitely the nicer place to be.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive along the Rhine

Because we do not want to rush our visit to any of these places, I will do this in two days, since I do have the time. I put Koblenz on the list to see the "Deutsches Eck" - it seemed like an interesting spot, according to Rick Steeves. We will be staying in Wiesbaden (Hotel de France) so will certainly get to enjoy that city. Thank you both so much for your replies! Angelika

Reply to: Drive along the Rhine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bingen am Rhein