We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuttgart Hotels

AZ
8 posts
Save Topic
Stuttgart Hotels

I am looking at staying in Hotel Graf Zeppelin in Stuttgart. Can you walk from the train station? Do you recommend another hotel that is located as well or do you think this is my best option?

Thank you

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,579 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuttgart Hotels

The Graf Zeppelin is just across the street from the railway station.

http://www.stuttgart.steigenberger.de/aw/Hotels/Steigenberger_Graf_Zeppelin/Englisch/Hotel_Information/~cjer/Location_Direction/

> ... do you think this is my best option?

If the Graf Zeppelin is budget wise no problem for you - go for it.

AZ
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuttgart Hotels

Can you recommend restaurants in the area. Good LOCAL food? Do you happen to know of a guide that I can hire for one day? I want to go to Hirrweiler and hopefully Bad Winpfen.

Thank you

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,570 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuttgart Hotels

I just discussed this with my Swabian wife with whom I agree. The best Swabian food will be found in smaller towns and villages and not in larger cities like Stuttgart. If we are eating Swabian food locally, we prefer the Schellenturm (only open after 5PM) which is a weinstube within a rebuilt tower of the town wall which later served as a prison. We like it mainly for the ambience but the food is good. It can be reached by the U-5, U-6, or U-7 from the Hauptbahnhof in 3 stops (use the 1 euro K(urz) ticket) at Olgaeck, exiting the platform toward the back of the train and going left (walking toward the way you came) crossing the street and proceeding down Olgastrasse two blocks to the traffic light where it is just to the right and down the steps across from the church. This is on the edge of the Bohnenviertel, the old part of town. Any place in Stuttgart should be a safe place to walk.

Although my wife blanches at the thought of eating at Ochs'n Willi next to the new glass cube art gallery on Koenigstrasse at the Schlossplatz, I always enjoy it and Americans I have taken there also enjoyed it and they have Swabian food. The restaurant on the top floor of this art gallery is a pleasant place to eat with nice views over the heart of the city. You could check there menu to see what Swabian dishes are on it.

While walking down Koenigstrasse stop in one of the pretzel booths for a pretzel, I like the buttered ones best.

For a personal guide I would contact the Stuttgart tourist office, www.stuttgart-tourist.de or info@stuttgart-tourist.de . They are very good at answering questions, and you can also visit their office across from the train station on Koenigstrasse to have questions answered, get a free map of central Stuttgart with a suggested self-guided walking tour, book walking and bus tours, and a wealth of free publications on Stuttgart and the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg.

AZ
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuttgart Hotels

Thank you very much. You are most kind.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuttgart Hotels

I highly suggest you make a reservation for Schellenturm, if you decide to eat there.

Lunch in the restaurant at the Glass Cube museum is great as well, on Schlossplatz. Reservations also mandatory for any of the tables near the windows. Only open, unreserved tables are those in smoking. Lunch menu is reasonably priced from 7 or 8 Euros up.

AZ
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stuttgart Hotels

I am looking for an alternate hotel. I love the location of Graf Zeppelin and I know it is very nice but is there something a little less expensive that is nice and in the same location?

Thank you

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,570 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stuttgart Hotels

I always recommend the City Hotel which is a 5-10 minute walk from the Schlossplatz, the absolute center of Stuttgart. Singles are 79-85 euros, doubles 95-115 euros. This is a hotel which we recommend to friends if we don't have room for them in our apartment. It is a short block away from the Olgaeck U-bahn stop which I mentioned for the Schellenturm restaurant. An interesting small hotel which has our favorite Stuttgart restaurant is Der Zauberlehring (4 star- single 110-180 euros, double 240-280 euros) with its themed rooms. It is about a block away from the Olgaeck stop in the Bohnenviertel. My wife always would like to stay there, but it is only a few blocks from our apartment. The Schloesschen zur Weinsteige Hotel Woertz is 120-150 euros single, 135-350 euros double and the other part of the hotel Flair-Hotel Woertz zur Weinsteige is 90-120 euros single, 95-160 euros double and is one stop further than Olgaeck at the Dobelstrasse stop. They also have a restaurant which I haven't eaten at. Wirt am Berg is a block further than the City Hotel and is 50-70 euros single, 85-95 double.

The InterCity Hotel is at the train station, 89-138 euros single, 101-165 double. There are plenty of other hotels of varying price in central Stuttgart that are walkable distances from the Schlossplatz and many more that can be easily accessed by U-bahn or S-bahn.

All the above hotels I have mentioned have breakfast included in the price and are bookable through www.stuttgart-tourist.de.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,570 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stuttgart Hotels

I left out an "l", the correct name is Der Zauberlehrling, in English Sorcerer's Apprentice after the Goethe poem on which the Walt Disney Mickey Mouse cartoon is based.

sunriver oregon
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Stuttgart Hotels

To Marcpolko,

I too am going to be in Stuttgart in April, for one night on my way to Paris. Is there a tourist office in the main train station that can help find accomodations for the night.

We will be coming form Prague and it will be a long day. Would perfer not to have to walk around looking for a room. Hope to get one real close to sta. Unfortunately will not be in Stuttgart to explore.

Your info. to ShiresAZ was very informative.

Thank You,

naillik

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,570 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stuttgart Hotels

naillik,

Go downstairs at the train station and then follow the signs for Koenigstrasse. After ascending the moving ramp, the tourist information office is immediately on your left. They certainly can make reservations for you. All of the places I previously mentioned would be good places to stay. The hotels by the Olgaeck stop of the U-5,U-6,U-7 are accessable from the train station by the frequent U-bahns (one every few minutes) and about 5 minutes away. It's probably easier to access such places that are a distance away than some places which are closer that you have to walk several blocks to. If you purchase a K(urz) ticket from the machine for 1 euro you can ride up to 3 stops by bus or U-bahn, and Olgaeck is within this distance.

Get answers to your questions about Schweinfurt