We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limburg is ADORABLE, but AVOID Bella Citta Vecchia

Which Limburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wiesbaden, Germany
Level Contributor
20 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Limburg is ADORABLE, but AVOID Bella Citta Vecchia

We loved our 1/2 day in Limburg. The Alt Stadt (old town) is really beautiful and everyone in the town was so nice. The cathedral is lovely, as is the walk behind it, looking over the Lahn River. Please don't be caught up in this, though:

However, at all costs avoid the Bella Citta Vecchia. We sat down at their table and asked for a menu. The Italian waiter, who spoke to us in German said he usually only served breakfast to the people at his Pension. (10a.m. and all the tables were out- looks like breakfast to me.) He absolutely positively refused to bring a menu. Okay, I should have been warned right there. I asked for two coffees and two cheese sandwiches. He went on an on about how we should really eat more, and even said he needed to sell more than that to us. Second warning! He then went on an d on about making a beautiful platter of cheese, cold cuts, fruit, etc. We kept saying no, he kept insisting. Finally we gave in and said bring the breakfast plate with the coldcuts, cheese, bread, and fruit. We ate it. It was fresh, but very rudimentary- a couple plain rolls, a few slices of watermelon, a tomato, small number of grapes, a few slivers of cheese, and some jam. We had to ask for butter. When it came time to pay, I asked for the bill. No, we don't give bills. WHAT?!!! No bill??? At that point I knew we were going to get it. He then told me our meager breakfast would be 25 euros. YES, 25 euro. That's more than we paid for a lovely breakfast in Paris three days earlier! I argued and argued with him, but his "gotcha grin" stayed in place. I paid, but at that point, no bill/no menu made me pretty sure what was going on. I produced my Euro Card (debit), which he did not want because all of a sudden there would be a paper trail. He finally took it when I showed him an empty change purse. I am sure he had to go back and write up a bill after that. I hope the city of Limburg looks into this shady practice. I would NEVER go back.

However, I WILL go back to LImburg with company. A lovely little place.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Limburg is ADORABLE, but AVOID Bella Citta Vecchia

"Also, the only hotel that gave us breakfast in GErmany was a mom&pop place. The 4 star hotels do not!!!"

Unless you have stayed at all 4 star hotels in Germany, that is really a very broad (and inaccurate) generalization.

We often book 4 star hotels and in the majority of cases breakfast has been included. In 5 star hotels, it has been my experience it is rarely included unless booking a rate that specifies breakfast.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Limburg is ADORABLE, but AVOID Bella Citta Vecchia

I appreciate it when someone posts this kind of message. It is good learn what kinds of pitfalls to avoid. The OP admitted right up front that they were not careful enough and shared in the fault.

If someone has had a good experience with this restaurant, it would be nice to hear that as well.

BTW, the Bella Citta Vecchia does have 3 good reviews on Holidaycheck.de.

Regards, Gary

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Limburg is ADORABLE, but AVOID Bella Citta Vecchia

To me it sounds more like a rogue waiter making some extra money whilst unsupervised in the mornings when most guests are hotel residents. In which case the restaurant is being ripped off as well!

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Limburg is ADORABLE, but AVOID Bella Citta Vecchia

Rhine- I for one really appreciate your warning. Yes, you should have recognized a scam in the making, but who knows if every one of us would have done the same thing? You think you won't, but look at all the successful internet scams. You're with friends, you don't want to waste time, you don't want to look cheap, a charming waiter puts it on full force and you fall for it. That doesn't make it right, folks.

My opinion is it doesn't matter whether this was a rogue waiter or the restaurant. The restaurant is responsible for its employees, and Rhine did the right thing to post. Besides, it appears this was not a one-time event. "Locals", as she calls them are a great resource for helping find things, figuring out situations in advance. Other travelers are the best source of possible missteps and warning us about cultural differences. Another clue that this was not a mere misunderstanding is the discrepancy between the restaurant's printed prices and what Rhine paid. I'd be mad, too.

I agree with the poster who said 4 star hotels don't normaly provide breakfast as part of the room rate. Yes, you can add it on, at a cost of often three times what a breakfast would cost outside the hotel. It is usually quite an elaborate spread. I cannot remember the last time I was in Europe and got a breakfast as part of my basic room rate. NH, Mercure, Novotel, Marriott, Hilton. I've been to them all and more. The ONLY free breakfast I've had in years was in Rome, and that was a while back.

Thanks again for warning us. This may be a scam that occurs elsewhere and now I am forewarned.

15. Re: Limburg is ADORABLE, but AVOID Bella Citta Vecchia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Limburg