We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 year stay in germany

Edmonton, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
1 year stay in germany

I would like to live for 1 year in the southwest Germany area and travel around from there to different parts of Europe. I would prefer to live in a smaller centre, i.e. Kehl or others. What would the cost of a small apartment or studio suite be. Approximately how much would a small car cost me, or would i need one as train service is so convenient. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 year stay in germany

The first thing is are you allowed to stay in the Schengen area (which includes Germany) longer than 90 days in a half year. Tourists aren't allowed to do that, and in most cases that should be the end of your idea.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 year stay in germany

>I would prefer to live in a smaller centre, i.e. Kehl or others. What would the cost of a small apartment or studio suite be. Approximately how much would a small car cost me, or would i need one as train service is so convenient.

Assuming that the visa issues are already sorted out, the question is how "small" an apartment would be. The cost is also very dependent on location, as you understand. It is difficult to get an apartment rented for just one year for a reasonable cost, as for a normal apartment you would have to buy all the furniture including kitchen, and it is not in the interests of the landlord to let it for just one year and go through the whole search for a new tenant a year later. Furnished apartments are rather found in larger cities where international companies operate. You can probably rent a "Ferienwohnung" (holiday apartment) for a year but it will be very expensive.

Whether you need a car depends on location within the town and also which town - some have better public transportation services than others. In a town of the size of Kehl (why, of all things, Kehl????) a car adds to convenience but is not really a necessity of life - a bike is often sufficient.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 year stay in germany

In Kehl is the University of Public Administration, thus the landlords won't be shocked is someone wants to rent for a year. And there will be more or less furnished apartments on offer. Also an option to consider is a WG (Wohngemeinschaft - an appartment shared with other). Normally the best way to improve your German if this is one aim of your stay.

But the best hub in this area would be Offenburg

http://www.offenburg.de/

Twice as big and a more important rail knot. Again a town with students - but not student city like Freiburg or Heidelberg where students are a large portion of the inhabitants with quite some effects on accommodation.

TGO (Ortenau - e.g. Offenburg and Kehl - local public transport) network map

ortenaulinie.de/tgo_dateien/TGO-Internet-Lin…

railroad map Baden-Württemberg

http://www.bw-bank.de/privatkunden/

Offenburg is also served by ICE trains

bahn.de/p/…MDB70121-ice_2010.pdf

Car sharing in Offenburg

http://www.zeitauto.de/

- - -

Have also a look into Toytown Germany, a site more dedicated to longer stays in Germany than this travel forum.

www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php…

Edited: 16 June 2010, 21:03
Mentioned in this post
Offenburg
Offenburg
Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
Heidelberg
Heidelberg
Germany
Germany
Europe
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 year stay in germany

railroad map Baden-Württemberg (correct link)

bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/deutschlanderle…

Edmonton, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 year stay in germany

to Marcopolko- thankyou for your input re-legal requirements..

to altamiro--thankyou for your valuable information re- apartments

to abalada--thankyou for suggesting Offenburg as a base and for all the travel information.

I am fairly familiar with the German language; can understand and speak it well enough to have my needs and wishes known but would like to spend time in France and Switzerland, therefore thought Kehl might be a good base. However, after checking out Offenburg, I agree, that would serve me much better,

Once again, I appreciate each and every reply.

Mentioned in this post
Offenburg
Offenburg
France
France
Europe
6. Re: 1 year stay in germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 08:48
Get answers to your questions about Kehl
More Kehl Topics