We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apple drink from Swabia

Which Reutlingen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Apple drink from Swabia

I am trying to remember the name of the alcoholic apple drink that we got in the gasthofs in Eningen under Achalm. The drink was served in a ceramic crock and was very dry and only available in winter I believe. Or at most it was available until the current year's supply was exhausted. Is this drink still served? What's it's name!!

Danke.

Pam

3 replies to this topic
Pleidelsheim...
Level Contributor
37 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apple drink from Swabia

It's most probably "Apfelmost".

Thats just apple juice which just startet alcoholic fermentation. The longer it's in the fermantion process, the dryer it gets. So you probably got that in the beginning of winter.

It's usually served from fall till beginning of winter, when apples are harvested or shortly after.

Its a very traditional german drink throughout regions where there are many apple trees. French people also have their cidre and in england theres cider but thats not that that dry like in germany.

Many older german families have special barrels in their cellar in which they fill apple juice in fall and let it fermate. As a matter of fact, me also ;-)

Especially in winter (when fermantation is advanced and it tastes really bitter and alcohol is higher) it is often mixed with sweet soda and then called "Mostbowle". Also sometimes fresh fruit is added before serving.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apple drink from Swabia

Thanks so much. That must be it. And yes, very different from English cider!

Pam

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,175 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apple drink from Swabia

It's called Most. It can be pure fermented apple juice (cider) or can be a mixture with pear juice, or made from pure pear juice. It is available most of the year and a few shops (those selling alcoholic beverages out of kegs) throughout the region will sell it, with the buyer usually supplying the container. As mentioned, it is delicious when mixed with soda to make Mostbowle with the former Cistercian Monastery farm of Schwarzloch just west of Tuebingen having an excellent one. When my wife was a child in Upper Swabia, her grandfather put up two barrels of Most a year, but since those times it has declined in favor and few people make it although many people still have apple trees.

Reply to: Apple drink from Swabia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Reutlingen