We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tübingen as a base

Vermont
Level Contributor
48 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Tübingen as a base

I am looking for a good place to explore the Baden-Wuttemberg region and I was looking at Tübingen as a base. Any recommendations for a hotel and Day trips?

5 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tübingen as a base

Have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 . Most of this will also apply to Tuebingen. In Tuebingen I would always recommend staying in the oldtown in a hotel such as Hotel am Schloss which is just below the castle. There's quite a lot of difference between day trips that are convenient by train and bus (there's still a lot of them) and all the excellent things that are easily accessible by car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tübingen as a base

Tubingen is a great town. What is important is your mode of transportation (car vs. train/bus).

http://tuebingen-info.de/index.php?id=819

Other good options include Baden-Baden, Ulm, Freiburg, Stuttgart. Another nice smaller town to consider is Rottweil.

Offenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tübingen as a base

Tuebingen itself is very nice. Nearby, each about 40 minutes by car, there are two very beautiful castles. Hohenzollern Castle, for me more beautiful than Neuschwanstein. Lichtenstein Castle, much smaller, but also very beautiful. A car ride through the Neckar valley about Rottenburg (not to be confused with Rothenburg ob der Tauber), Horb to Rottweil. It has a very nice old town. Also Horb, that is located on a mountain ridge above the river valley is worth seeing. The drive through the valley takes about 2 hours, the direct route across the Autobahn (highway) a little less than 1 hour. Stuttgart, the capital of Baden-Wuerttemberg, is located by car about 40 minutes. There you can go shopping well in the Koenigsstrasse (King's Road). There are many excellent museums, theaters, musicals, parks and a famous opera. Not so many old buildings but a lot to view. Especially the two automobile museums of Merceds-Benz and Porsche are worth a visit. Nice is also the old town of Esslingen am Neckar, about 50 minutes and the old town of Reutlingen,15 minutes with the car. The Wilhelma Zoo Stuttgart is one of the largest and most beautiful in Germany and also integrates botanical areas. Perhaps the Karls- und Baerenhoehle (Karls and bear cave) would be something for you? You can visit about 300 meters of the cave. It is 40 minutes away by car. Reutlingen, Lichtenstein Castle and Bear cave can be combined well as a day trip. I think that are the main attractions at a distance of 1 hour to Tübingen.

Offenburg, Germany
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tübingen as a base

I forgot the Nebelhoehle (fog cave). It is in the near of Castle Lichtenstein too. You can visit about 450 meters of the cave. It is a limestone cave.

5. Re: Tübingen as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 20:35
Edited: 15 August 2014, 20:35

Reply to: Tübingen as a base
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted