We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

Erie, Pa
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

Hello-

We will by flying into Frankfurt on September 30th, scheduled to land approx. 6:30 in the morning. We want to take a train to Boppard, preferring a direct ride.... and are staying at the Baudobriga Rheinhotel. I have a few questions....

1. I wanted to make sure I was looking at the correct train stop while checking the times on the bahn website- I'm assuming its the main (hbf) stop. Could anyone confirm this?

2. Do you recommend buying the ticket in advance, vs. at the airport?

3. I'm not an experienced traveler- so wondering how long I should anticipate it will take after landing to get luggage, go through customs and then get to the train station at the airport?

I think this is it for now! Thank you for any info.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Baudobriga Rheinhotel
Baudobriga Rheinhotel
94 Reviews
Boppard, Germany
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

1. Yes.

2. It might save you time, but not money, to buy at home for 9/30, anyway; the cheaper advance-sale savings fares shouldn't be purchased for trips right after airport arrival, as you may need to forfeit those tickets if you have a flight delay or are late for your train for any reason. Full-fare tickets are good at any hour.

3. No way to tell, really - too many factors. You may want to hit an ATM as well.

It is somewhat unlikely that you'll catch the 7:21 train. I'd plan to take the direct RE train at 9:24 for a direct train option.

TICKETS: For the 9:24: for two, you'll pay 8.50€ for one-way RMV tickets to Mainz. Buy tickets from a machine at the Regionalbahnhof station at FRA (one of two FRA stations.) Also buy a Rheinland-pfalz ticket (daypass good from Mainz on) for 26€ (price for 2.) You'll have just one train but two tickets to cover two parts of your trip. Total price, 34.50€.

For the 7:21: Buy regular tickets at the same station from a ticket machine. 39€ total price (The R-P ticket isn't valid until after 9 am on weekdays.)

If you go at 9:24, and you get the R-P ticket, it will allow you to use trains and buses later that day at no charge if you wish to visit other towns in the afternoon or evening.

R-P ticket details: vrminfo.de/en/…

Mentioned in this post
Mainz
Mainz
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

Hi Martha,

Russ is wrong in his answer to question number 1.

When in the DB website, you'll see:

Frankfurt(Main)Hbf

"Main" is the name of the river that the city of Frankfurt is adjacent to, and "Hbf" stands for Hauptbahnhof, or central station near the center of the city.

If you want to leave directly from the airport's train station, you should be entering:

Frankfurt(Main)Flughafen

"Flughafen" is airport.

I haven't used the RMV tickets that he's talking about, and he's usually pretty accurate in his advice so I'd take his guidance on that. (I think he may have just skimmed past the " its the main (hbf) stop" in your original post. Easy to do.)

Zed

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

Martha S may have been referring to the train stop in Boppard, which is Boppard Hbf. Note quite as big as the one in Frankfurt, though.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,918 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

Hbf = Hauptbahnhof = German for a main / central train station

Frankfurt(Main) = Frankfurt at the (river) Main

The name "Main" of this river has nothing to do with the English adjective "main".

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

" I wanted to make sure I was looking at the correct train stop while checking the times on the bahn website- I'm assuming its the main (hbf) stop."

When I answered your question, I thought at first you were asking what the main station is called - it's Hbf .

But as I indicated under "TICKETS", you'll be using the Regionalbahnhof, and since that's what you were really asking about, and since you have no intention of going into Frankfurt at all, I should have reconsidered your first question while answering the others, and given you the station name...

Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Regionalbf

There are actually two airport stations - one generally for regional trains and one for long-distance trains. As Zed suggests, you can use just "Frankfurt(M) Flughafen" in your query at the DB site. But when itineraries appear, you will see that some trains leave from both the Regionalbahnhof and others from the Fernbahnhof, the long-distance station name...

Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbahnhof

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

Hi, this is Martha, but on mom's (Judie's) a/c.

Thanks for all info. My original ? regarding the train station was regarding Boppard-- making sure coming into the Boppard(hbf) station was the correct one. But I had no idea there were actually two train stations at the airport, so this was a very informative exchange.

If I'm following, I believe we should plan to take the train listed as follows on the bahn website: from Frankfurt(m)Flughafen at 9:24 to Boppard Hbf, and this is the REGIONAL train, not the long distance train. Could someone confirm that this is the station located at the airport in Terminal 1, B Concourse, Level 0. And also, will I be able to purchase the tickets with a credit card at an actual "window" with a person at it. (Meaning, I don't have to use a ticket machine.) Since we do not speak German, and are not familiar at all with train travel, I'd much prefer to purchase from a person vs. a machine!

And again, thank you so much for all the info.

Martha

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

Oops, just noticed Russ's orginally reply referred to ticket machines. (When I read orginal responses was using my cell phone and sometimes don't see everything!) So, I'm not sure if my question regarding a person vs. a machine is relevant. Perhaps there are no actual "persons" to purchase from.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

Like most ticket machines in Germany, the FRA ticket machines have an English-language interface. There is also a ticket counter at the FRA Regionalbahnhof, but the price is a little more for this service. And yes, that is the location of the Regionalbahnhof. And yes, the 9:24 is a RE (Regional Express) train and is accessible with the tickets I suggested.

You will likely have time to explore the airport at some length if your flight is on time.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Erie, Pa
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

Got it.... thanks Russ.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
189 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel from Frankfurt airport to Boppard

Hi there, when I see this post asking about getting from FRA airport to Boppard Hbf, I want to express thanks here to the destination experts here, especially Russ who has literally helped me plan my two days in the Rhine region. Thanks to abalada too!

Martha, just follow the recommendations the experts provide here and you will be fine. I'd like to share with you our experience earlier this month. We arrived in Terminal 2 of the FRA airport. We then followed the signs (those were clear signs) and arrived at Terminal 1 which leads to the trains. Before I went down for the trains, I went to the ticket machines. I decided to give it a go instead of relying on the ticket offices which often have long queues (and I really want to get a hang of this so that I can buy tickets again later... some stations do not have such counters to help tourists).

Press for English on the touchscreen. Press firmly and you will see English words very soon. I made one mistake when buying the tickets. That was, I pressed "single tickets to Frankfurt City". Don't do that! Instead select "single tickets to Mainz". Stay calm and you will see the word MAINZ. The single tickets to Frankfurt city and those to Mainz cost the same --- 4.25 per person... When I saw 4.25, I thought, oh this is it.... but NO, and I made the mistake in a rush.

Luckily, the people behind me were going to buy tickets to Frankfurt city and they bought the ticket from me :P

Ah... many machines do not take 20 euro notes. So from the moment I realised that, I always try to have smaller notes with me so I don't have to run around to get change.

Mentioned in this post
Mainz
Mainz
Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany