We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

I am going to post this on each forum, I have two night's 3 days at the beginning of a trip of 14 days, to spend either in Cochem on the Mosel or along a quaint city on the Rhein; either Bacharach or St. Goar.

I just can't decide, I haven't spent any time in any of these specific cities. This part of the trip we are wanting to get acclimated from a Trans-Atlantic flight and take a couple of nice leisurly days to see one of these beautiful areas. Any sugestions of which we should do?

We will have a a rail pass and no car, so if that changes anything to one of these places. After we are going to Cologne as a base for the next phase of the trip.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

I should mention this will be from 10/30-11/1 of this fall

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

Hi,

My suggestion would be to spend your time along the Rhine that first day or two in either St. Goar or Bacharach.

I think you'll have more opportunities to do things, like catch a cruise on the Rhine between those two towns.

You'll definitely want to spend time near Cochem and visit Burg Eltz, a castle that's been in the same family for over 30 generations.

While both are in the heart of German wine country, the Rhine had more of a major thoroughfare / trade route feel to it, and the Mosel had a little less busy, more relaxed wine country feel to it.

You can't go wrong with any of the three, honestly.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

1/11 is a public holiday in several states, including Rheinland-Pfalz (Cochem, St. Goar, Bacharach) and Nordrhein-Westfalen (Cologne). This means all the shops will be closed and some trains run on a Sunday schedule.

This is also the time when the tourist season ends, so there will be very few if any cruises on the Rhine. Castles, like Burg Eltz, should still be open. There are frequent trains along the Rhine and part of the Mosel, so you can easily use these to visit other small towns in the area.

End of October,, the scenery is usually still beautiful, with the autumn leaves, and there will still be quite a few visitors around because of the long weekend.

Bacharach and St. Goar are easier to reach from Frankfurt airport, if that is where you are landing. If you have a railpass that is good on the fast trains, that does not make to much difference.

Cochem is somewhat bigger tha the other 2 towns and there is more you can do in the evening.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

I think on the Rhine is slightly better, more beautiful

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

Thank you all, that really helps, always great advice on this forum, making my 7th trip to Germany, and beyond, always on a budget, do the advice I get here not only makes the trip better, but stretches the dollar, to come back!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

also will bahn.de give the schedules for 11/1? meaning will it show if schedules are on Sunday schedules for the holiday? Is it easy to reach Burg Eltz, if no car, only train?

USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

Burg Eltz will be open. Too bad you won't have a car, it's easy driving and a great area for exploring with the flexibility a car gives you.

Anyway, we prefer the quieter Mosel rather than the Rhein, but it really depends on what you want from your vacation and your personalities and interests. We thought the Mosel was prettier than the Rhein, but, again, it's a matter of personal taste.

It's easy to get from Frankfurt airport to Cochem by train (assuming you are flying into Frankfurt). Ways to get to Burg Eltz: www.burg-eltz.de/en/arriving-by-/train.html .

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

If you stay in or around Cochem it may be worth getting a taxi to Burg Eltz .You could try Taxi Leister in Treis Karden as well as those on the castle's website. We spoke to a resident of one of the Moselle villages and apparently everywhere is really quiet in winter when the majority of tourists have left.Out of season Cochem would probably have a bit more 'life' than Bacharach

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
425 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

Thanks we decided on Cochem, we booked Weingut Rademacher, close to the train.

Any idea what a taxi would cost to Burg Eltz?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cochem on the Mosel or St. Goar or Bacharach on the Rhein

Not sure about the cost of a taxi to Burg Eltz - we've always walked from Treis Karden. Don't know if you booked the Weingut Rademacher direct or via a booking agency. Just had a look at their own website and they have a contact form so they may be able to recommend a local taxi company and/or know the cost of a taxi to the castle. Taxi Leister are based in Treis Karden which is about 6 miles from Cochem and their email is taxi.leister@web.de. Incidentally the castle is absolutely wonderful. It's all on it's own in the forest - no cars or houses in sight as the car park is some way away and you will travel on the shuttle bus to the entrance. Good luck with all this!