We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helgoland at the beginning of June

Level Contributor
435 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Helgoland at the beginning of June

Hi:

We will be in Hamburg beginning of June for a total of 5 days. Someone suggested a day trip to Helgoland. What is the usual weather there at this time of the year? I am wondering if a day trip is a good idea (one is for about 7 hours on a boat). Is the trip itself very nice? I am not sure what is that one can see/do during the 3-4 hours on the island. I am not sure if our time/money would be well used by going there. I'd appreciate some help.

3 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helgoland at the beginning of June

Most daytrippers go to Helgoland for the cheap shopping - the island is a tax-free area. There are other things you can do there besides shopping - there are some nice walks there, and it's a good place for things like birdwatching - but if you're only in Hamburg for five days it's probably not worth doing, I think there are better things to than spend the best part of a day sitting on a boat.

You can fly to Helgoland (that's what I did for my one and only visit there quite some years ago), but I have no idea of cost.

Level Contributor
435 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helgoland at the beginning of June

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. We are not into shopping or birdwatching so we will do something else.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Helgoland at the beginning of June

The island and its landscape are surely impressive, also its history and 1950s architecture. Out of nowhere there is this red rock in the middle of the sea. This here is based on a day visit in August last year: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/d54d/ However, I did the trip from Cuxhaven, which reduced the transfer to one hour on the catamaran and two hours on the ferry back. I do not think I would have done the trip all the way from Hamburg.

Reply to: Helgoland at the beginning of June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Helgoland