We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sylt

USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sylt

My husband and I (60 and older) plan on visiting Sylt this coming August. Unfortunately, we do not know much about the Island and would like to get feedback regarding which area to stay, 4 star accomodations or Pensions, etc. We are grateful for any information. Also, do we need to rent a car while on the island. Thank you.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sylt

Question is if you want to stay in the "big town" on the island or not.

www.westerland.de/index.php…

A car is not a must. Here the map/prices of the winter schedule:

www.svg-sylt.de/fahrplan/pdf/winter/karte.pdf

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sylt

August is a great time for Sylt, but it is also high season. This means the island will be crowded and places will be pretty booked. The main town on the island is Westerland, which has some good shopping, interesting nightlife, and is right on the beautiful beach that stretches for 40 km from the southern tip to the nothern tip of Sylt. Other than that, Westerland is an ugly array of 70's buildings. My favorite village is Keitum: very quaint with many thatched-roof houses and lovely shops and restaurants. The other nice place is Kampen with a beautiful setting on a cliff.

There is public transportation (buses) on the island, but I prefer having a car, as it is so much easier to get around. What makes Sylt nice is that you have the beach on the west side and the tidelands on the east side, so there a plenty of of options for nice walks.

As for places to stay, remember that August is high season, so it will be pricey. There are some excellent hotels, like the Fährhaus Munkmarsch or the Dorint Sölringhof in Rantum, but they will be very expensive. I would check the Internet for deals, and if you have a car, the location of your accommodation is not as critical, as everything is just a short drive away. Without a car I would choose a place within walking distance to nice scenery or the beach.

Sylt is definietly the poshest place on the German North Sea coast, which makes it expensive, but this also means that you have excellent restaurants and good shopping. Have a great trip!

3. Re: Sylt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 17:21
Get answers to your questions about Sylt
More Sylt Topics